Options

Lake St. Clair peeps

We are planning a trip up on June 22-29 with the family. Renting a house and bringing the 270 Vee with us. I have a couple questions. How’s the water temp that time of year and what’s some must see/do’s in the area? The pin on the map is where we are staying, pretty far North East.

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    We are just south in western Lake Erie and in late June the water is still pretty cold. We see kids swimming but most of us don’t really get in the water until 4th of July. It’s fine to swim just pretty darn cold. We had a really warm spring sometime in the last 5 years and that year we were swimming in mid June, hope we have a spring like that this year! 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Depending on what it is you want to do, there are plenty of spots to anchor in LSC.  If you want to swim I'd head to Goose Bay.  If you're looking for music and partying, then Muscamoot Bay is a good destination.  For jet ski, I'd head up to Bouiver Bay.

There are a few places to tie up to eat in St. Cialr Shores.  If you look for Jefferson Beach Marina, you'll find Brownies.  Next door, just North is Mike's on the Water.

You can give these a look too:

http://www.tourlakestclair.org/boating.html
    http://www.lakestclairguide.com/service-directory/waterfront-communities-lake-st-clair/

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    @Stodge We are staying up in Bouvier Bay. How long of a cruise down to St. Clair Shores?
  • Options
    That's close to 20 miles.  You're up at the very North East corner of the lake.  St Clair Shores is on the South West corner.  There is a neat little place up close to Bouvier Bay called Island Grill.  It's due West on the Swan Creek, maybe 2 or 3 miles away.  They have a gas dock as well.

http://www.lakestclairguide.com/service/island-grill/

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I am in Algonac on the North Channel. June is hit and miss. If you could I would wait for July or August if you could 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    jme097 said:
    I am in Algonac on the North Channel. June is hit and miss. If you could I would wait for July or August if you could 
    I wish we could. Fall sports start up in July for my cousins kids, so we have a limited window in early summer. We are staying right off route 29 by Plagens Piers Marina, close to ya
  • Options
    So we are getting passports and plan to visit Canada! How are they on the Canada size of the lake if you're on the water? We do plan to get on land also.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you planning to go to Canada on the boat and come back in to the us by boat? If so entering Canada is easy just make sure with the marina before you go that they support re entry in some way (by phone or officer). The us is different, you need to get the roam ap. There is a $30 per year fee and they send you a sticker for your boat that allows boat re entry. When your back at the dock in the us, you video call us customs from your boat on your mobile device to re enter. CBP Roam is the app
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Are you planning to go to Canada on the boat and come back in to the us by boat? If so entering Canada is easy just make sure with the marina before you go that they support re entry in some way (by phone or officer). The us is different, you need to get the roam ap. There is a $30 per year fee and they send you a sticker for your boat that allows boat re entry. When your back at the dock in the us, you video call us customs from your boat on your mobile device to re enter. CBP Roam is the app
    If that's the "transponder" sticker you're talking about, those have been required for any boat 30 or over for quite some time.  I get one every year since we cross over now and then.

Since we have Nexus I was able to put my Nexus info into the app.  We used it last year when we stopped in Lexington on the way home from Kincardine.  The app worked like a champ.  I saw it had an option for a video chat, but we didn't have to do that.  The app said approved and I got an email saying the same.

• Options
    Another good resource for Border crossing between US and Canada is http://www.marinerscoalition.com/

• Options
    We more than likely will visit by boat, although it looks like there isn't a whole lot on the NE side of the lake. We might just drive down to Windsor for a day in the vehicles. I downloaded the CBP roam app.
  • Options
    You can take the St. Clair River up to Sarnia.  It's about 35 miles up the river from where you'll be.  On the US side there is Port Huron, and St. Clair which are 35 and 28 (give or take) miles.  Most of the popular Canadian ports in the area are on Lake Huron like Grand Bend, Bayfield etc.

If you are going by car you won't need the app.  There will be customs agents on the bridge to interview you.

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I've heard Grand Bend is awesome
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    jme097 said:
    I've heard Grand Bend is awesome
    Yes it is.  Several places to eat, and lots of shopping along the main drag which follows the river.  Their beach is really nice.  Been there a couple times.  Doesn't take much to talk me into going back.  Last year we did Sarnia, Grand Bend, Bayfield, Goderich and Kincardine as a group trip.

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭✭
    These guys have it down, but I'll add my two cents. That time of the summer is VERY weather dependent on how warm the water is. The last couple years the water hasnt been very warm until early July. This is due to the higher water levels & cool starts to the season.

Its still very swimmable in the shallows, but its not bath water and it has to be 75*+ outside to really enjoy it.

Lake St Clair has a TON of swimming areas that are 2-3 feet deep, and in the right areas the water will warm up pretty quickly. There are alot of cool restaurants and areas to explore also.

Munchies Bay usually warms up pretty quick, and is very close to your rental house. I like Muscamoot bay for ease of dropping anchor, and there is fun to be had if you want that kind of day. People make it sound like its a cluster-bleep of aholes, but if you stay outside the main line you'll be fine. We go with families and kids all the time. Goose bay is nice too, but its more exposed to the open lake and with the high water levels it can harder to find 2-3 feet to anchor in.

BTW June 28th is Jobbie Nooner, which is a very fun (but somewhat stressful party). Its just down a couple channels from your place, and if you have only adults its a riot.
    Related image

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    Well said Joe......2016 was the last really good weather Jobbie.

Debauchery & shizznit at its best!

We were up on the north side

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current