Engine Room Cameras - Anyone done it before

pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
After experiencing a raw-water hose pop off whilst underway and only discovering it when steam started pouring out the vent .... am thinking of getting a pair of cameras installed in the engine bay with a screen at the helm. Has anyone done an install before and what is good placement for a two engine setup. Thanks.

btw : cameras are bog-standard twin reverse cams for trucks etc with infrared.

Comments

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone on here did it. I just can't remember who.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of chartplotters have video inputs(my Garmin 742xs has one)... you could even use an automotive backup camera.
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    And new bigger cruisers come with Cameras from factory now 
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a back up camera on my truck at work. I think you will need some kind of light for the camera to see. For my truck it's the reverse lights or brake lights if not it's just black. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I added a backup camera that has lights on it. It works really well at night. I can get the Amazon link when I get home.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you verify that that the cameras are safe for operation in explosive gas environment, i.e. ignition-protected?
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    LaRea For the sake of conversation...what in a camera would make you worry about sparking an explosion?  This is sparking my interest in a camera as well.

2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Standard advice for putting anything in the ER.  I always try to think like an insurance adjuster.  
  • DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    Almost all of the cameras sold these days have built in LED IR lighting.  you can see in total darkness.
     (1) You can hard wire cameras into a compatible multi function displays. These are usually self powered by the display unit.
    (2) You can purchase a hardwired "back-up" camera, which may have its own display screen included.  These need to be hooked to power, and cables run for the display unit, wherever you should chose to mount it.
    (3) Or...By a "Blink" rechargable wifi camera. no wires, a charge will last 2-3 months depending on use.  You can bring the camera up on your phone or desktop or tablet.  They have built in IR LEDS for darkness.  They have motion sensor to alert you of motion on your boat or engine compartment.  And you just need a good wifi signal, which most marinas should have.  And...you can listen and talk through the camera.  So when you are home watching TV on a Friday night, and someone decides to take a leak off your swim platform, not only will you be notified, you can tell the idiot to get off your boat.
  • pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    update : took the cameras and a small 12 v battery to the boat yesterday. Opened up the hatch and poked about looking for a good position for the cameras. These IR backup cameras work in total darkness and the resolution provided to the 7 inch display is great. Need so make some time to hardwiring everything together