340 generator removal? And or fix?

dale332dale332 Member Posts: 23
I have a 2001 FV 340 my generator won’t start hasn’t been ran in a couple years so I’m assuming it runs, it would need a tune up, impeller etc. I was thinking it might be easier to pull it and take it home to work on it and get it back in normal condition rather than doing it in the water at the marina? Can someone tell me what all is needed to be done to pull it out? 

Starting issue? I hit the start Button and all I hear is an extremely faint click. Tried crossing solenoid and still nothing? It’s not locked up it will spin by hand. Thanks !

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its very heavy for one
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    On my 2002 342 the port engine would have to come out for starters.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pull the plugs and see if you can get it to spin. Then do a compression check. Keep it in the boat if possible.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Agree that you are best off to troubleshoot while it is in the boat. Worth it to change plugs and clean up the carb, may be an electric choke issue. If it really must come out I would ping @Alswagg for advice on removal for your particular boat. Some of these boats need an engine removed to remove the generator, sometimes you can just remove parts on the top of the engine to get it out. I'm not familiar with your engine room configuration but I can tell you that when I had a 2001 Rinker 310 and the mechanic needed to remove the generator (stator and rotor were blown) I called Rinker and Randy Rinker was there back then. He said just to remove the alternator and heat exchanger from the top of the port engine and he was right, after that the genny came right out for winter rebuild. Good luck.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    dale332 said:

Starting issue? I hit the start Button and all I hear is an extremely faint click. Tried crossing solenoid and still nothing? It’s not locked up it will spin by hand. Thanks !
    Sounds electrical.....either you have a bad connection or the starter is froze up
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a bad solenoid possibly? Get a voltmeter and climb next to it.
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Www.partsfortechs.com if you need parts

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • dale332dale332 Member Posts: 23
    Thanks guys, I can’t really do a compression check without getting started spinning, the engine is not locked see as how I can spin it by hand. The “click” I’m hearing to me doesn’t sound like a starter click. It is very very faint. Almost like a switch solenoid and not a heavy duty starting solenoid if that makes sense it is extremely faint. Gen is on starboard side on my boat however that’s not to say an engine or parts would have to come out. I feared that might be the case but I’m not around the boat to look and see at the moment.. just trying to get a bunch of ideas together so when I get down there I can try several things. Once I get it cranking I will obviously tune up, clean, troubleshoot any other issues. Thanks keep the ideas coming!! 
    So typically engine starting circuits look like this:

Key -> engine relay -> starting solenoid -> starter

This avoids having high amperage across the key switch. In the case of a marine genset there might not be a key, but instead a push button start/stop that drives the relay. That relay will power the engine accessories ignition, fuel pump, etc. The starting solenoid is momentary: providing a high-current connection to the starter. I'd start there with a volt meter: if there's no 12V when it's commanded to start work backwards. If you can turn it over by hand it's not seized.
  • dale332dale332 Member Posts: 23
    You would start at relay? Power in, power out to other components, etc. ? And any clue where this is in a 5e? Is it in the box with the hour meter and all that I assume? 
    Have you tried the troubleshooting steps in the back of the manual for starting? There's also a schematic there - that should help nail down what's going on. Aside from the ECU they're simple engines crammed into a tight space.