Options

Cleat Installation

TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in Rinker Custom Projects
I'm in the mood for some winter projects and thought about adding some amidship cleats. I've done some searches on the forum and based on that would like advice on what I should do. My plan...

I was going to use a 316 Stainless Steel 8" Stud Mount Cleat (only two holes to drill versus four with "standard" cleats)...

...and back it with a 1/4" X 4" X 8" aluminum 6061 flat bar - bedded in 3M 4200 adhesive sealant.

Does this set up sound OK?

I've read some comments about detrimental galvanic reactions of mixing aluminum with stainless. Yeah or nay? And if not aluminum - what should I use as a backer? (Thinking that a stainless backer would be heII to drill through with the tools I have at hand.)
Post edited by raybo3 on

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stainless is a bugger to machine if you are not set up for it. The AL backer plate would be fine. You could paint it or insulate between the washer and the nut if you want to be obsessive. That said, your AL outdrive housing has SS fasteners in it. lol

you don’t have water nor current to make corrosion a concern for that. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Want to do the same around the helm position so I can lean out and tie a rope off looped around the lock cable or post to save my recently fixed shoulder from having to hang on. Was thinking one like this:

Amarine-made Boat Marine Stainless Steel 316 Pull up Cleat Flush Mount Cleat Lift - 8 Inch

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016IBUS4W/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_1OuqCbN3Z...

Atwood have one too. It would provide a cleaner look and out of the way especilaly if you don’t plan to use them all the time.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    @icoultha - One at the helm - within reach - is exactly what I want to do also. Great minds think alike! :-)

I did look at the pop-up and the fold-up. Others at my storage yard have had long term problems with pop-ups leaking and/or the springs failing. So I am shying away from those. As for the fold-up, I think those would be fine for smaller craft, but not for my application. 
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Good feedback @TonyG13 although my use of these would be limited to locking mainly, not for primary tie up unless we were to have a major wind storm needing extra roping. Still thinking about the options, perhaps the higher priced units would offer better quality and longevity.

The one I had seen didn't have springs but just slide in and pull out and that would work for me - and no spring breakage concern.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/