Re-bedding through hulls

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
I'm considering re-bedding my depth sender, retired sonar sender, genny inlet, head inlet and A/C inlet.  Water has been sneaking in from somewhere since I've owned the boat, likely longer.  The bellows are getting replaced this Spring.  Just thought it might not hurt to cover all the bases.

Question: assuming they inlets/senders were put in correctly with 5200 What is the likelihood that they would leak and how much of a PIA am I looking at?

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    To
    do it right
    you Will have to remove all thru hulls but if properly installed you will destroy the inserts and pucks in the process.
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    What are the odds that they need to be re-bedded?  I'm not sure they are the source of the water.  

They probably do leak some 
    my old Rinker had two ducers
    one was still in use and other was absolete

long story short my compression nuts were loose and leaking.

i was able to tighten nuts against washers from
    the inside of the boat
    that stopped the leaks

but once again to do it right they have to be removed and resealed 
    same goes for the gen pickup.

i would take a shop vac and dry everything 

wipe it all
    down and watch for water intrusion or wet spots

sit on your lawn chair drinking a cool ice tea and wait lol
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stodge said:
    I'm considering re-bedding my depth sender, retired sonar sender, genny inlet, head inlet and A/C inlet.  Water has been sneaking in from somewhere since I've owned the boat, likely longer.  The bellows are getting replaced this Spring.  Just thought it might not hurt to cover all the bases.

Question: assuming they inlets/senders were put in correctly with 5200 What is the likelihood that they would leak and how much of a PIA am I looking at?
    All mine leaked except generator inlet. 
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know some of the pickups are like a brass shoe screwed in to the hull from under then a nut and washer from the top. None of mine leak knock on wood.( that's my head)
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know some of the pickups are like a brass shoe screwed in to the hull from under then a nut and washer from the top. None of mine leak knock on wood.( that's my head)
    Got that right 
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Dry the area and sprinkle baby poweder around the thru hull...you will see the streaks of water if they are leaking.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Make sure the water isn't just rain water.  As you've been on the forum long enough to know that rain water definitely comes in the blower vents.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last season I re-bedded my swim platform bolts, made a big difference with the amount of water in the bilge. Also, the platform really stiffened up nice and solid.
    2008 330EC
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Stodge if you are not sure they are leaking, I think I'd leave the thru hulls for now and confirm this summer that they are leaking. Agree with Dream that we get a ton of rain water through the blower vents. I love by 342 but the blower vent set up is a very poor design, just welcomes in rain water. Could be those bellows you are replacing, but also could be your steering pin which is a slow drip that is hard to notice. When was that last re done?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

I would agree
    new and old rinker vent locations and design was horrible but so was my old dancer 
    @Stodge if you are not sure they are leaking, I think I'd leave the thru hulls for now and confirm this summer that they are leaking. Agree with Dream that we get a ton of rain water through the blower vents. I love by 342 but the blower vent set up is a very poor design, just welcomes in rain water. Could be those bellows you are replacing, but also could be your steering pin which is a slow drip that is hard to notice. When was that last re done?
    The PO must have had them done.  This is our 5th season with her and haven't had them done yet.  So I imagine it's time.

zaverin1 said:
    They probably do leak some 
    my old Rinker had two ducers
    one was still in use and other was absolete

long story short my compression nuts were loose and leaking.

i was able to tighten nuts against washers from
    the inside of the boat
    that stopped the leaks

but once again to do it right they have to be removed and resealed 
    same goes for the gen pickup.

i would take a shop vac and dry everything 

wipe it all
    down and watch for water intrusion or wet spots

sit on your lawn chair drinking a cool ice tea and wait lol
    Yeah think that's a good plan this spring after we get launched.  The baby power idea is a good one too.  

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if you use the underwater stuff to start your good? I re did my raw water pick up and just used the sealer........once the valve was reinstalled I don't recall I could have gotten a seal coat put down...
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No UV underwater.  No seal coat needed.
  • boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 797 ✭✭✭
    I re-bedded everything on the transom of our Sea Ray and also installed a new depth sounder transducer. When I did that I drilled oversized holes and filled them with epoxy then drilled the correct sized holes into the epoxy and used 4200 on everything. Not sure if any of them had leaked before but I didn't know when the last time was that they were done so did them all. Haven't done the new Crownline yet. Just bought it in August so haven't done much with it.