Options

Safe weather running on the outside in South NJ Area

Fiesta270ForeverFiesta270Forever Member Posts: 2
Just curious on everyone's thoughts on what weather conditions are safe. Looking at running my 05 F/V 270 in the ocean (not far off the coast) as the ICW can be tricky. This holiday weekend forecast is 2-4 foot seas, winds 10-15kt, which sounds not to hateful just looking for other peoples thoughts and past experiences!

Comments

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard F270.
     I've spent many hours offshore but there's more to a safe weather window than just relying on one source, it's a complicated thing to figure. If all I had was what you posted I wouldn't do it in our 270 if I was going far even with my experience. 10-15 isn't a placid sea and it can go either way in short order.

Are you equipped for trouble, is the boat well maintained, is the crew able bodied, is the weather expected to hold and are you familiar with the inlets and safe zones in the area?

All relevant things to consider. Nothing beats a perfect day offshore but respect the sea and be safe.

Have a great season, Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    That's a tough call, but I know a 3 foot chop here on the bay is a bit rough in my 40'.  Mike hit most of the thoughts, but also will you be heading South (into the wind this weekend) or both, south then north.  Heading into that wind I would say will be a bit rough.  Put it this way, they are calling for a 2-3 foot chop tonight on the bay, along with a 30-40% chance of rain.  I threw in the hat & said we will just chill at the dock instead of getting beat up a bit and chance of getting wet for fireworks.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Fiesta270ForeverFiesta270Forever Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the insights, the vessel is well maintained and I've been boating for 3 years just not a lot of experience out on the open Ocean. I get nervous as I do have the respect for the sea and don't want to be one of the "statistics" 

Going out traveling south from around LBI, NJ (obviously North on the way home) The plan was to dock up in a Marina in AC, NJ for fireworks. Looking at weather forecasts in the area they are more forecasting winds around 8-12MPH, weather looks to be holding steady and plenty of good weather currently forecasted for tomorrow through the weekend with slight chance of rain (10%).
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Besides safety equipment and area knowledge. Never over estimate what your crew can handle. Often the weakest link (think looking green). lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    I have a 342 and I would not leave the dock if I saw 4 footers.... Just my 2 cents
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    342 here too. 4' waves are not all that fun for the crew here but doable. Mind you 4' on Lake Mich is not the same as 4' on the ocean (steeper and closer together waves on the big lake). I've done 6-8' waves and try to avoid that mess. Open water has different considerations for safety: dinghy, ditch bag, ideally SOLAS flares, marine radio (handheld too), gps/chart plotter / paper charts etc.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI