Options

Wrestling with maintenance intervals

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
so my plan this spring was to do drive anodes, engine impellers and fuel filters.

drive anodes were new last year, been doing every year to be safe, but they are 10%-15% gone now so I’m thinking of waiting a year. With 85% or more still there can I wait? My tab anodes were new and are half gone so I am definitely doing those. Our marina has been really diligent about testing for electricity in the water. 

engine impellers have 2 seasons on them which for me is 45 hours total. When I did them spring 2017 the 5 season old impellers looked new. I know the rule is every other but I’m thinking about waiting until next spring and they have 3 seasons on them. Are you all really doing them every other?

fuel filters have 3 seasons on them now so I’m definitely doing them this spring.

thanks for any feedback 
07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So many thought's about impellers, in the spring of 2018 i bought an old fishing boat, 1996 with 75 hp merc. . In talking with the owner, he bought it new. I ask when was the last time impeller was changed? he said never. He figured he put about 25 hours on the boat per year. So of course I changed it before even taking it out. It looked very good. Here is is. Fuel filter I change every other year. Because of moisture.

Boat Name : 

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    It's not just the impeller.  Merc water pumps have two enemies:  fatigue failure of the impeller, and wear or scoring of the pump body.  When you change the impeller, you're also inspecting the pump body.  Personally, I wouldn't go longer than three years.  It's all about managing your risk.  Pumps and impellers always pick inconvenient times to fail.  
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Might also depend on your climate. Here in Connecticut we have had some record cold, with temps reaching below 0 degrees farenheit. That can't be good for an impeller thats is a couple years old already.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm doing my oils and filters next weekend and just do that every spring...fuel waters separators also. Probably won't do the Genny this year...last year I was in the water maybe 10 hours on it? Anode was completely gone on it on my last maintenance on it....but will change fuel filter..plugs I changed when the boat was purchased but still seems to run great. Out drive anodes still look like new, fresh water is all I have been for the most part..
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So @rasbury, no leaks in the engine bay?? Boat ready to go??
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I know, jam up and jelly tight....stayed in local marina weekend before last with all dry. Will do my my filters and oils and planning some weekend trips ..
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses, I’m stored indoors non heated but I know it doesn’t see temps much below 32. I’ve got a couple of months to decide, but I’m thinking based on the last ones coming out perfectly new after 5 years and these having 45 hours at most I’m going to give it one more season and replace impellers after 3 seasons of use. Agree on the grooving but my boat doesn’t see sand, just mud, and it has less than 300 hours on it total. I’d guess I’m still a few years from pump replacement. Generator impeller was 2 seasons old and came out looking literally brand new yesterday. I am going to buy at least 1 new impeller to have one on hand (still have an old one too). 

also think I’ll leave the anodes, I’m reading that they need to be replaced at 50% and while I would not wait that long, another season will take me to 70% at worst 

this isn’t an issue of saving money, although that is a perk, I’m doing a remodel at home myself and time is a major problem right now

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have the VesselView Mobile app, log your maintenance in the app when you do it. The app keeps track of how many hours are on the "maintenance" parts. It is a great way to know when things, such as an impeller, are due for replacement.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Thanks, have not upgraded to that yet but I hope to next year. I do log all of that in excel so I’ve got a decent idea, but of course that is way better and exact. 

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least you are keeping track of it. Better to do that than to "wing it".
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!