Options

How can I get my Vinyl windshield clear.

seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

I notice that my vinyl tent windshield was starting to cloud over.  It has always been exposed to direct sunlight.   I bought a product from the marina and applied it, and it got worst, and now I can’t even see out of it.  Everything I try does not work.  What do you guys used to clean your vinyl?  

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meguirs makes a product to help. It's an abrasive compound to 'refinish' it and it works decent, but a ton of elbow grease. Sadly, nothing really will be a cure as you are probably nearing the life end of the eisenglass. Strataglass is better stuff if you replace. But they all need TLC when handeling and cleaning.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    210 works great. Comes in a white can with red letters...
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    You could also try and it does work very good the Flitz Pad. Use Flitz and the Flitz Pad and it should clear up your glass. Then I would go over it with 210.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    I've always had surprisingly good luck with PASTE toothpaste in a pinch. 
  • Options
    seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

I think I have lost my windshield....everything I have tried is only making it more cloudy....some one told me to use pledge.  I don't understand why only the one window....all the others are clear as can be.  The canvas is 4 years old.

I am also going to try the toothpaste in a corner of the window.

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Anything you use chemically won't last.. toothpaste is a mild abrasive, and it works for a more long term solution... So do those kits that clear headlights on cars, as it literally rubs off the surface layer that is clouded.. rubbing compound is a mild abrasive and rubs the film/oxidation off, and wax fills the tiny voids to make it appear clear for a while, but don't over do it..

The worst thing you can use is something that accelerates oxidation, such that removes oils.. when you're done with the toothpaste or the rubbing compound, rub in some mineral oil or light gun oil.. I rec the gun oil, as it can be bought in aerosol can.
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting feedback...it might be added that anything you try should be tested in a spot that's a bit out of the way....just in case.

I've tried a few products that came highly recommended but nothing has really worked on my slightly cloudy rear panel, but hey, it's 9y/o too. The compounding thing has me interested but from what I've read it's more of a polymer breakdown from age and maybe a little neglect.....which I can relate to. ;)

Maybe somebody will break out the buffer and some light compound on an older retired panel to see if it'll massage it back to it's youth like those car headlights Drew mentioned. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The unfortunate thing is that anything you do to recover them is temporary.. you can do some things to make them last longer when they are in good condition, but not so much to recover them...

Port patrol in Bahrain used the gun oil every day.. we tried it in the desert on some equipment, but it was a sand magnet... We used (standing by for laughs) mop and glow on those.. it dried well as opposed to sticky.. highly rec it on a clean shield.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have just gone through this. I had a small 10" x 3" section where water/condensation sits and it went yellow/dull.  First of all to set expecations correct, it will never be 100% again. But it can be improved.

I used too much 210 and made things worse.

I bought some car headlamp cleaner and rubbed it in good to get most of the surface guck off. Then I added it a few more times, but this time a very quick and ver light pressure buff. The very quick light buff did the major difference and took it from very opque to clear. After this I sprayed 210 and gave it a quick buff. It isn't perfect but it looks a whole lot better.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks mark. Sounds like a process worth looking into. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Try the Flitz ball with Flitz. It works.....
  • Options
    RWBLACK6RWBLACK6 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭

Pledge is great for keeping clear glass looking clear.   As a restorer?  Dont know.

• Options
    ShaunShaun Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    I started using a product this year from Shurhold called Serious Shine. I cleaned the glass in the winter with mild soap and water, then applied Serious Shine to both sides. I have yet to reapply it this year. I just take a damp cloth, wipe and then dry with a clean soft towel. I am amazed how much better my eisenglass looks this year and how much easier it is to clean.
  • Options
    tundra250tundra250 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Replace it..........Has anyone replaced their windows with strataglass instead of isinglass?
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    RWBLACK6 said:

Pledge is great for keeping clear glass looking clear.   As a restorer?  Dont know.

All I've ever used was Lemon Pledge mine are 13 years old and crystal clear I keep them rolled in a beach towel and store them in a chair bag that no one ever puts the chair back in.

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have strataglass on my 342, even got the tinted variety. I love the stuff. It will roll and of course I roll mine in some special covers I had made.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    nthegrooventhegroove Member Posts: 5 ✭✭