Toilet fun this weekend

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
Late last summer after a visit from my sister in law and teenage nieces our toilet was not the same. Worked but it sounded different and the water in the bowl sloshed around more before going down. Admiral and I both noticed. Called sister in law who insisted they were not in a position to put bad stuff in the toilet so I let it go assuming winter rebuild was best, it did still work after all and I was sure the vent line was all good. So Saturday I took it apart to assess before ordering rebuild kit and sure enough, feminine product all wrapped around everything. Darn it!!!! Above and below chopping blade, not good. Brought it home to re build and show the admiral who is now nervous about what Uncle Pat will say when they arrive at the dock this summer. 

Good news is that it’s obvious why things were not right and the rebuild kits on our “quiet flush” jabsco electric heads are only $20 vs $50 for the standard electric with impeller. All will be well again..... I know you guys like pics and I do have one which was texted to the admiral immediately, but I’ll spare you this one

07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you need a sign, or multiple signs, in the head stating, "If you can't put it in your mouth, don't flush it down the toilet". What you are going through is my worst fear of owning a boat with a head.

FWIW, Many years ago I had someone on my boat that was her time of the month. At the time I had a 232cc, so it was a portipotty. She didn't flush the product, she wrapped it up and placed it in the sink. (My 98 232cc had a sink in the cabin) She failed to mention that to anyone on the boat, including my, now ex, wife. We got back to the dock, covered the boat, and left for two weeks due to a summer vacation. Needless to say, after sitting in the sink for two weeks in 80+ degree weather, the cabin smelled awful!!!. That person never got invited back.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yuck!!! On both posts. 
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Admiral spoke discretely with any women who boarded regarding use of the head. Better yet, she had a small laminated card she placed on the counter of the head when we knew female passengers were arriving  indicating the nice disposal bags and container to place them in. Never had a problem.

If I could have only figured-out a way to stop the guys who visited from pi$$ing all over the floor that would have been awesome - as that was MY job to clean-up! :-(
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    We have two rules:

1. If you didn't eat or drink it - it doesn't go into the head.

2. Everyone sits.

If rules 1 or 2 are broken, the violator gets to assist in clean up.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I'll have to take a picture of the "official looking" placard I have in my head.  It basically says, if you didn't eat it, it shall not go in the head.  Yes, that means TP as well.  I changed out all 4 duckbills over the winter.  It sure is nasty stuff!  

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gross stuff!! Greg I can’t imagine coming back to that smell. Yea I’ll look in to a placard. These girls were told very clearly not to do what they did so there is an element of thought that no placard can fix. Right now the fix is that they all walk the 5 min to the bath house and problem solved. 

• skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Kind of related...my niece visited the boat and used the bathroom...we have a manual pump toilet and she didnt know how it worked.  The admiral went to check on her and she was sweating because she couldn't flush it.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    We used marine toilet paper - never had a clog in many years of toilet use. Got good advice from someone on forum to go to Walmart and buy RV toilet paper - same dissolve ability for 1/4 the price.

We had the push button vacuflush toilets in both cruisers. The Admiral took the women to the head and showed them which button to push and how to add extra water - that was when she
    discreetly mentioned how to dispose of feminine hygiene products.

We really, really liked having a flush head in both cruisers and there is no fricken' way I wouldn't use it.......just follow a couple of simple rules and all will be well. Mind you those vacuflush toilets sure pack a punch - they'd suck the family cat down the drain!

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    If you've ever been on a cruise ship, you certainly would be afraid to be sitting while it flushed! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree on making sure to buy the marine/rv TP. We were using single ply and saw chunks of tp when pumping out meaning it could get clogged in pump. Went to Walmart rv stuff and all clear. We now use west marine, twice the price but admiral much prefers and it’s a smal price for her happiness, and I think we only use 4-5 rolls a season 

.......happy Admiral makes for smooth seas!