Options

How did I do this, again

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, weekend before last was our trial run after reinstall of motor and transom. It is the ramp at one of our Marina's I used and do not like. The floating dock gets real short when the water starts dropping....so when I put the boat on the trailer I would put the trailer in the water the minimal amount and kept pulling the boat up and backing the trailer until finally getting loaded if you can Invision...the dock is so short if I backed it in enough to load properly I could only get off the front- no way I had the hull out of the water but I burned up the impeller...and the second time I've done this at this ramp. The answer is obvious, quit doing it but I don't see how I ran it dry!

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wondering if it’s a gravity/waterline issue and your setup loses prime once the boat comes out of the water some?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    I had considered that also and must me the answer...boat goes up and down through waves but does not stay in a bad position for extended time...only thing I could think of too...so got the pump apart.this is the third time I've had it apart but the first time missing a piece. I have five vanes that broke off. Four were still in the pump all intact with one missing. I have to assume it would be intact. Where can I pull off a hose in the best spot to back flush? Which hose goes to the tubes in the exchanger?
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    It could be stuck in the steering pump cooler as well, which is the first thing cooled from the water pump.  

I do think you aren't getting the prime.  You need to make sure the boat is all the way in the water before starting each time.  I had a pump that was doing this to me (with my boat on a lift, it is the same type of thing).  I found that my wear plates on the pump were really the issue.  It just didn't prime as well.  New plates and all was fine.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know on mine, when we changed the impeller, I wasn't showing pressure, and the mech (who was there) opened up some plugs on the engine and a whole bunch of air came out, then everything was back to normal.  Maybe you have an airlock??

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Hopefully I'm all good...at the ramp, pouring when we had ,0% rain.....sitting down below drinking a beer...
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    At least when it’s pouring down there it’s a short time up north it can last the whole weekend .actually last year it was the whole month of August 

• Options
    It can do that here too....get a low pressure system stalled over us....especially during the wet season and it will do the same.....and throw a hurricane or two in there and then we are really having some fun!
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last weekend I was down, the guy picking me up was complaining about the rain... I said "How long has it been raining??" He said "it rained ALL DAY yesterday... meanwhile up in the North East one day of rain and the rest sunny all week would be amazing!! :D:D:D