2009 Rinker Captiva Trailer

Just picked up my 2009 Rinker Captiva 192 and towed it home 75 miles.  Boat trailered well, all lights work but I don't see the lights on on my electronic brake controller in my truck cab like I did with my RV.  Does this trailer have electronic brakes?

Comments

  • earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 380 ✭✭✭
    Probably not. If it has brakes they are probably hydraulic surge brakes activated by a sliding neck just behind the Hitch connector. Do you know what brand trailer it is? If it came with the boat from Rinker its probably a Trailmaster. That boat weighs about 2900 pounds so it may not have brakes on the trailer at all.

  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree, if you have brakes, likely surge which are fine for a boat that size. 
  • Tony08Tony08 Member Posts: 4 ✭
    That makes sense.  Didn't seem to have any issues pushing me so was wondering about surge. Yes I believe the trailer came with the boat originally.  Thanks for the information gents!
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Tony08 .....btw .....respectful suggestion - don't forget with many types of surge brakes you have to move the pin to lock-out the surge brakes for reverse.
  • Tony08Tony08 Member Posts: 4 ✭
    Hey MichaelT: Guess what I did not know about moving the pin to go in reverse.  I learned that the hard way on a brand new gravel driveway!
  • martin342martin342 Member Posts: 1 ✭
    Electric trailer brakes are brakes built into the wheel assembly of a trailer. They use electromagnetic brake drums to help stop the trailer while towing, I learned a lot of things when I was doing a job in a towing company as a Blocking Driveway Removal towing.
Sign In or Register to comment.