Options

New Anchor Design

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
Was at a local marina to board a dive boat here in the Turks and Caicos and saw a couple of guys discussing an new type of anchor on a 38 foot go-fast fish boat (4 Yamaha out boards!!!!!). It is made by Ultra Marine. Shiny SS with reinforced shaft and a neat anti foul bar welded on to prevent chain/rode fouling. You can also attach a trip line to that bar if you want to but then owner said he hadn't had the need so far. He also said is sets in ANYTHING - real fast. Looked very well constructed and was quite a different design than anchors I have owned as it had a very different scoop point and different body wings. You can clearly see down to 50 feet here in most locations and the owner says he sees it set usually within three times its length. Man, that' s fast for a 38 foot. Looking for an anchor for the coming boating season? You may want to "google" this one? No waiting for the boating season here.....it's 85 - 90 degrees and sunny every day! :-)

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    edited February 2019
    They look a bit interesting:
    https://www.ultramarinewest.com/products/ultra-anchor 

not sure I have $3k to blow on an anchor though. :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    www.mantusmarine.com

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    It looks like mantus offers galvanized and chrome.  I just couldn't part with an additional 2k so it is SS chrome.  I use my anchor way to much to care if it is shiny.  I'd probably also get it all scratched up the first summer.  :)  Nothing better than coming back to dock (where I park bow in, with the lift and all) and have some good stuff still hanging off the anchor over the main dock! :wink: 

• Options
    @Dream_Inn.....thanks for the link. yes, that's what the guy had. 
  • Options
    @Dream_Inn .....coming back to dock with crud hanging-off your anchor....what????? You don't have an on-board wash down system for your anchor????? Shopping trip!!!!!
  • Options
    Michael T said:
    @Dream_Inn .....coming back to dock with crud hanging-off your anchor....what????? You don't have an on-board wash down system for your anchor????? Shopping trip!!!!!

actually, I have one that is under port side seat in the cockpit.  Yeah, not a very good spot for Rinker to put it!  That one I actually converted to pull the extra bit of water out of the bilge that the bilge pump in the ER doesn't get.  Works really well and is now useful.  I couldn't imagine lifting that seat up and dragging the hose the length of the boat up to the front anchor each time.  

& honestly, I usually clean the anchor pretty well by letting it hang in the water and slightly moving forward.  Much better than either running a hose all the way forward(from rear seacock) or putting another hole in the boat for a forward wash down.

• Options
    Yeah, that would work but I had one of those accordion hoses - easy to deploy and retract. I linked it to a remote wash down tab driven by a great pump installed at the Rinker factory. It blasted all of the crud off away from my slip/dock.