Options

Rope

cls10105cls10105 Member Posts: 352 ✭✭
Hey guys, what size and length line are you using for your fenders and dock line for a 342. And are they any certain brand that you all recommend. They are tons of choices?
cruising on 6. tw0s

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1/2” double braid. 25’ and 35’ lengths for my dock set up. 

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Dock-Lines

Personally: New England Ropes brand

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I get my mooring lines from Top Knot.  https://mooringlines.com/

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing that I have done, which I believe it was someone on here or the old forum, is to have different color lines for each length. All of my 20' lines are red. My 25' lines are black and my 30' lines are blue. That way I can tell anyone on board what size lines to grab via the color. I use 1/2" double braided lines.

I also have a set of lines that are attached to the dock, which I leave on the dock. That way I don't have to get lines and set them each time I go out. We have floating docks in my area, which makes it easy to set the lines at the beginning of the season.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Agree on leaving lines on my dock. I have a set that’s always on the dock all summer so I can just cast off the boat. Of course when docking we usually pull out a bow and stern line to toss to a helper but they get put away. Then we have a set of travel lines which are all black and all 1/2”. I have a couple 15”, a couple 20’, a couple 25’ and one 50’ in case I ever have to toss a tow line which is nice to have in case I’m rafted a few deep and need a really long line to secure to shore. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I normally had 4 lines. 2 I kept on doc and 2 onboard. The 2 on the slip meant I could set them once at the beginning of the season so my boat was positioned perfectly on the slip. Basically first thing I did was step off and hook the ropes lying on the slip onto the boat cleat. Boat then glided into the slip and stopped perfectly once the slip ropes pulled tight.  The other two were the spring lines, but I kept them onboard in case there was every an emergency and I had to dock somewhere else. Best of both worlds.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    About the same here.  I have 2 lines dock side that say in place, and 4 mooring lines aboard.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I just have lines on each side of the boat, I like to keep them ready in their hangers and attached to cleats ready for any need out there. As well as a couple spare onboard.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/