Options

first real run on the boat after inaugural "relaunch"

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well, thought I had things ready to go for a long weekend of boating but seems I have a couple of things yet to tidy up.

1. The shift cable boot- I don't get this at all....I put it on, after getting everything all cleaned up...and when I tighten the clamp, the boot wants to just walk off the connection on the transom side....one would almost think it's tapered or something....I pulled it off trimming the motor to high so brought it home and re did this am. Used bellows adhesive. Let it set a bit before I tightened it.....re inspected at the ramp and it's half way off, what's up with that?
2. Boat did not handle well. I don't recall when I pulled the out drive which position that nylon trim limit insert went- so I  went by the manual when I put the trim cylinders back on, that trim limit insert it's called, the book calls for it to be positioned  aft for Bravo III and forward if it is a one or two...I could not trim the motor at all without the front starting to bounce up and down...it was crazy! Do I need to move that? I do not understand anything else as being an issue like this, this is a very smooth good riding boat.
3. Also must not have gotten the power steering coolant line clamped tight  where it goes through the cooler- that thing is made of brass and bends very easy, was scared to put much on the clamps but lost fluid, pump was raising cane so came back to the ramp. It was to hot down there to attend on the water and used all the extra fluid I had on board anyway.
4. I installed new trim position and limit senders with my transom re build. The position one works fine, the limit does not....I did pull the pump out and the bracket that everything mounts to, well the base of it a bit corroded so I did pull some of it apart and fashioned a bracket so I could remount- don't recall I took a lot of wires loose. When I look at the manual I have, it only shows the limit switch in the mix ( no position sender which makes no sense )and those wires look like they run to the right parts on the pump, I verified the wires are connected into the harness....where do I start to track this down? My electrical not so good but I can follow directions...I can go by the position sender to not raise to high but would really like to have that work properly. It looks like from You Tube to adjust it, when you rotate this sender it should run the pump to dial it into the right length of the cylinder ? Am I just doing it wrong? I turned all the way to the left and the right and the drive just goes up and does not stop....

It ran a little ruff to start, it needs some new gas in it but it did smooth and and really ran pretty well. Fired up the generator and it seems to run pretty good also. Everything else seems to be in order.

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll get it man, I can't offer any advice because I'm not qualified, but you'll get it!!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe your thumbing it to hard at the throttle remember it is a dual switch. I believe the ram should come out 2 1/4" . I put the limit insert on the back side so the drive can go lower.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fill the tank and run the crap out of it the boat will thank you on Monday.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    It seems like you have been working on this a long time.  Good luck with a few of your fix up projects. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Alswagg will be able to give you the right information on the trim insert.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Once I get it all figured out it will be boring...
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    The pin would be in the aft position on the drive 
  • Options
    That's what I figured @GMSLITHO but I have no explanation for how the boat handled. If I even tapped the trim up once it planned the front would stop bouncing...there is nothing on the hull as it is trailer kept- it was very weird.
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    R ur planners working? Maybee Boat is loaded differently.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    By planners I assume trim tabs and yes.. normally...start with trim and trim tabs down and then pull the tabs up and then fine tune with the motor...level with the tabs if needed. Nothing else has changed ..I had the motor out and the transom assy out and this is my first run. Nothing new has been added nor removed, odd! That's why I was asking about that insert piece...other than putting the drive a little lower or higher at the bottom of the full down position I don't see this being my issue.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    double check your trim censers, on the trailer, to insure drive is all the way down. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    I did find after getting it home one if the trim tabs not working....so, here the motor running but no action....what's inside there? A gear stripped perhaps as maybe it froze up from sitting?
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if it's electric it's a pretty easy swap, same happened to me... was 100ish on ebay. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can rebuild lenco tabs, but it's not worth it. Most of the time water get's in there. You know the rest, cheaper to buy new in long run. Easy to change. Boat shop price $139, online like J3ff said.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Thanks....I probably will pull it apart and take a look....
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    Rasbury, before you start tearing apart your trim tabs.....

This was a complete redneck fix, but it worked on mine. The tab was froze up when I bought my boat on the left side. I had my wife get up in the boat, operate the switch and I tapped it fairly hard with a hammer.  It has worked for 2 years, flawlessly ever since hahahaha!  Yea....not the most conventional way, but it must have been just barely froze up. Anyways.....smack that thing first, before a teardown! 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    So I did replace one actuator...and a power steering pump. Had a brake freeze up, won't go into that. Launched again today...ran pretty good but was for sure chugging after two years....I was have to pretty much peg it get get to plane which did improve as I ran it- but it was back firing which I did not like. Once it started running a little better, I could cruise at around 25 and ran fine. Still leaking ps fluid somewhere so will have to check that out...that's a big worry...hope the back fire goes away..maybe old gas and lack of running? Plugs have 200 hours on them....good clean the arestor, may have never been done. First run I did not have this issue.
  • Options
    When I did my power steering pump last year and after the install the line started to leak so check the lines and the seal at the back of the pump 
  • Options
    Be careful with that backfiring it’s dangerous I’d run with the blowers on and the hatch up a bit and not a big crowd 
  • Options
    Yep, had the hatch open the whole time....so what is likely the cause? I will get out there tomorrow and check the lines...sure was nice to motor across the lake a couple of times!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suspect fuel first. If you've got 2 year old fuel in your tank it's lost octane and gained crud. If you have room in the tank add some fresh fuel. High test wouldn't be a bad idea.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    I did put some new fuel in and will just keep running it- had no issues with the motor when I shut down the show for the transom repair...
  • Options
    Keep I eye on your water separator also maybe water 
  • Options
    I just did do both fuel and water seperator filters before my first try. Tank had a quarter tank of fuel in it while it sat but it in non eathonol  fuel. At cruizing speed it purred like a kitten, idled fine and shits to reverse with no stumble just running it hard....
  • Options
    How do you clean the flame arestor?
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    How do you clean the flame arestor?
    Remove it and clean with carb cleaner or degreaser. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ras sorry the problems seem to never end but I have 2 Ford emblems I can mail to you right away lol
  • Options
    Tank those Dodge ones off and everyone will understand....