Transom Housing needs replace

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it is tuff to know...get a quote but tell him you need to get another quote and see if that don't change his tune...for that kind of money I would do that anyway....I don't recall the boat, is it trailerable?
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,496 admin
    In my cases there was a small leak causing the brackets to rot. The water from the leak froze causing the bracket to break in half. Both (a year apart) ending up breaking and damaging the fiberglass. Trust me you do not want to see the bills......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • onislandtimeonislandtime Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    @ rasbury its a 342
    Ain't dragging that around are you.....have other boaters that can go with you? I don't know much other than what I dealt with- was able to rebuild without replacing the TA....
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭✭
    I replaced mine last year with stainless pin and ring used the jr marine kit so the motor didn’t need to be disconnected 
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Same - my port the year before using the SS pin but the Mercruiser kit.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭
    I had min replaced last year as well. My mechanic persuaded me not to use the jr marine kit. Used the merc kit.
  • pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    Had to replace my transom assembly on the ole 270 for same reason. But it was half as much money. At a local boat shop. Guy had engine out in 2 hours. My biggest problem was low speed wander. And someone in the past had JB welded just in front of the Gimble. You could not keep the boat straight. You will be able to grab a hold of the outdrive by hand and move it back and forth. All bushings were wore out.  I think the boat had about 500 hours on it at the time. Hazzard? I don't know about that. It's not going to fly apart. You will see, when you get there. Good luck.
    @Alswagg may have some input.
    This one is $3000 
    MerCruiser SmartCraft Bravo Transom Assembly

My 2000 270 wandered at low speed before and after the repair even though there was no more play in the steering. I had heard it was a trait of that model.
    -Paul
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @pault1216 , any single engine stern drive will wander at low speeds. My old 232 did it, my 280 does it, my friends old 212 did it along with his current 270. Play in the steering wheel is what is caused by the gimbal ring going bad.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    @pault1216 thanks for the input. I have alittle over 600 hours and I am sure it needs replacing because of the hours however I was put off by the several attempts to use scare tactic, Extreme Hazard! They did this same tactic last season when Hurricane Florence was bearing down on the east coast calling all slip holders saying it was going to hit our area and if we wait to long they may not be able to get your boat out. Some people listen to them and the marina got paid for a haul out/launch back in and then another haul out for the winter. The hurricane missed us by 3 states and was a Cat 1 when hitting land fall.
    @Cableguy Greg  curious about your comment.....what would be a :"bad gimbal"? Does not seem like much to fail unless it just corrodes away...? I have play in my steering to address at some point but I sure did not see anything wrong with it....don't mean to hijack your thread onislandtime but it might help you too....

Where the pivot pin is mounted in the gimbal ring, you have a square pin in a square hole. If someone doesn't torque the bolts each spring, the hole in the gimbal ring, since it is aluminum, can round out, causing slop in the steering.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Where the pivot pin is mounted in the gimbal ring, you have a square pin in a square hole. If someone doesn't torque the bolts each spring, the hole in the gimbal ring, since it is aluminum, can round out, causing slop in the steering.
    Tighten which bolts?
    Tighten which bolts?
    The two at the top of the ring, at the pivot pin location.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭✭
    From what I understand those are torqued once and that’s it ,you don’t need to tighten them every season 
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree if there is any movement from ring to the pin it is not tight. Just another thing to check every season.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    onislandtime the bolts below the mercruiser sticker.

2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    edited March 2019
    I just replaced my pin and that U bolt was not a square fit but round...not sure what your talking about there Greg...the steering arm is square as I recall where it mounts to the steering pin but that's the only thing I can think of..I still say, if you consider that round pin nestled in a round U bolt, as long as the pin is not worn to a pencil and the part below that mounts into the gimbal, the whole assy will naturally want to swing back and forth- there is nothing in the assembly of these parts to make it "tight" if everything is up to spec that I saw....it would have to be in the rest of the steering system where you would get the play. Also I mentioned above and have not tested, when the motor is running and the power steering system is all pumped up, there would be holding pressure in the system vs. when it's not running and pressure leaks down...yet to be tested however! IF the pin is worn and you can move the asy from side to side, that's a problem but that is not the same as pivoting/turning from side to side. 
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Tighten which bolts?
    The two at the top of the ring, at the pivot pin location.
    I've read the Mercruiser bulletin (but not recently) and didn't think it was prudent to retorque those - you stretch the threads and the bolts eventually fail. @Alswagg
     - your opinion please?
    Post edited by Dude_Himself on
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play in the steering could be a sign of a bad gimbal housing, but it could also be in the cable and linkage wearing over the years. My gimbal housings are just fine, no play in the drives, but I’ve got a little steering play in the cable or linkage. Steering play does not mean you definitely have a bad housing. While on the hard try to move your drive side to side. A slight movement is normal but if you can move it an inch back and forth or maybe even a half inch then you likely have a bad gimbal housing.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with dude I don’t think your supposed to do it every year. I did mine 3 springs/65 hours ago and just did them again last week and they were exactly where I left them in 2016. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good sign of ware at the pin is to lift the drive by hand there should be minimal play up and down. All so look up at the pin when moving the drive there should be no play. My 2 cents.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    Ok, will state again, brand new bin and I can move the drive...so what is bad?
    New ring too?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @rasbury - the pin fits into a square on the gimbal ring as you know.  That square can be worn out and the gimbal ring needs to be replaced
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    yep....not my question though....if I have a new pin and it will still pivot, does not mean the gimbal ring is bad...I need to work on this...it's on the list! I got bigger fish to fry at the moment!
    Update: On the Bill for the upper seal replacement it was written "It is recommended to replace Transom Assys, It could become a safety issue" Completly different from the phone conversation of "Extreme Hazard" lol. 
    I’d ask them to explain what they are talking about. Play dumb maybe and see how far they go. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

edited March 2019
    If your interested, here is a video of me moving the drive. The drive seems to only have play to the right though Idk. Let me know your thoughts pls