Options

Sanding bottom paint

Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
The time has come on my 280EC that I need to sand and repaint the bottom of my boat. For those that have done this, what kind of sander did you use? I have a 5" DeWalt random orbital sander. I am wondering if that will work to get the job done?
2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
Go Steelers!!!

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the best tool for the job, Reminder wear a dust mask.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup I been told once you breath it in it stays in your lungs forever. Dont for get a tyvex type suit. A 5" DA should do the job. My spelling sucks
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m in a similar state where I need to get the bottom paint removed and start over. Thinking of having the boat set aside when pulled this fall and having it soda or peanut shell blasted. Rumor has it that it’s affordable, $500ish, we will see 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    I have heard good things about having bottom soda blasted.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    Unfortunately there isn't anyone in Pittsburgh that does it. I could be wrong, but I have never heard of anyone.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soda blasting and CO2 blasting are both excellent and do no damage to the substrate. Otherwise good ol sandblasting. 

I sanded my old micron CSC: never again. Toxic dust disaster IMO. That dist goes everywhere too. Maybe wet sanding would be better. I switched over to the VC-17m. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    A 6" random orbital sander with a strong shop vac eliminates almost all of the dust.  You still need a suit with hood and respirator (preferably a full-face mask).  

I know this because I watched it being done on my boat today.  That's the other key ... it's much easier when you watch somebody else do it.

Around here, Micron CSC is the only paint that really works.  It's expensiver than good whiskey, and not fun to apply or remove, but it lasted five years for me.  
  • Options
    I was looking at an air random orbital sander. Not sure if that will work better than an electric one or not. My boat was originally painted with MicronCSC, then over painted with Petit Hydrocoat. It should be interesting getting down to the barrier coat, or close to it. I was going to repaint with MicronCSC to see how it works. I have a few Tyvek suits. I will have to get some hats and masks.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I just saw that West Marine has it on sale for $180/gal. Not a bad price. Sale ends 3/31/19
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    I bought a air sander years ago to do a much smaller boat,found out I needed a much bigger air compressor to keep it running. 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    This may seem like a dumb question, but since I don't know, I'll ask anyway: Why would you want, or need, to sand an ablative bottom paint (like Micron CSC). Isn't the point of ablative coatings to wear away like a bar of soap and then all you need to do is to apply fresh coats every two or so years after a good a power wash and scuffing with a Scotchbrite?
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While the CSC is ‘ablative’, it builds up over time and gets rougher too. Thus the sanding part. I am inside stored and regardless of how well you vacuum, tent off...that dust goes everywhere. Basically banned for sanding inside due to that. 

The VC-17 just needs a good powerwash and a light scotchbrite clean and recoat. The VC-17 is much thinner and does not build up either. You can pick up a few mph too since it is smoother. Sailboaters use it for that. The VC-17 is a fresh / brackish water use only though. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I used a 5 inch orbital last time i did it. Its all about the grit you're using. You got this!
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3