Options

transom mount question

212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm on my third engine with this 05 212 captiva... this one is a mercruiser factory built engine, in the 357 variety and, well, i'm toning it down some as this engine is actually less powerful than the 304/314 i pulled. 

at any rate i'm having a hard time aligning the engine to the outdrive.  I don't recall EVER having such an issue in the past.  

my question, and i've asked it before and didn't get a definitive response.  Does the rear engine mounts rely on the coupler housing (akin to bell housing) or the transom mount to determine the correct fastener kit, or is it a combo of both?  

This engine has 'deeper' (for lack of better word) bosses than the last, and the isolator bushings are pressed into the ears.  obviously, the transom plate hasn't changed or i would have offered that.  the problem with the 'half valve spring' type mounts is the bolt is just plain too short, and the problem with the laminated fabric washer/bushing kind is the difficulty aligning... 

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After reading this, my first question is what do you do to motors? I feel your pain on this one. I had problems re installing my motor- the parts I had did not match the book so I bought the spring washers only to find the right parts raised the motor to much and would not align. Plus, I think I found they were found by Merc to be a problem and discontinued. What I figured out was anyway with any parts you can get it together aligned is the right way. Mine only had a couple if flat washers the sat on those ears and it lined right up. Worked on it for days. Try some super glue on that fiber washer....the adjustments on the motor mounts is just a little at a time!
  • Options
    Also, what kind of a tool are you using to check how far  your alignment is off? You need something 1" in diameter which will slip into the coupler....put some grease on it and you will see where the mounts need adjustment. A few youtubes on this...I used a broom stick as it was perfectly round and the right side made of metal.
  • Options
    Ive done dozen or more alignments after install, and dozens more realignments... Never met one like this one .

First engine stock.  Second engine was ragged edge and didnt expect it to last, and the window popped in the skirt via escaping rid confirmed that... It was fun while it lasted, though . this one is mercruiser factory built 357.  It'll be fine performance wise, as last engine found the limits for the hull and drive... This one is a bit under it in terms of tq and hp, but enters the curve much sooner.. Will be great for recreational boat/engine combo.  

I've used all kinds of tricks to get those bolts through the washers/short spring.. Including super glue lol.. I even fabricated a tool to cradle the nut that can easily be held while turning the bolt by hand but on a 6"+4" extension.  

Im all but certain ive got wrong kit.  Looks like there are at least three kinds... Problem os I dont know if its determined by coupler/flywheel cover or the transom plate.  ............. Or both.  
  • Options
    how about where they mounted the transom plate either right or wrong??
  • Options
    yeah- the mount is good.. 
    the other two engines weren't a problem at all.  the front mount bases are the same ones holding the last engine, so even they are not a problem... 

i'm just gonna make it happen... but it shouldn't be as difficult as it is.  something is amiss. 
  • Options
    I think it's one of those things that should be a by the book thing but at the end of the day, make it work...what I meant by the transom assembly is if they mount it to high or to low....the rear mounts are obviously fixed so it they did not mount the transom asy in the right place on the transom, you can try to use the right parts but never get the right adjustment from the front mounts which is what I found on mine...I thought I was missing parts and when I got the parts per the manual, it would not line up no way no how and fought it for DAYS and just gave up and went with the way I found it- had the out drive on in about 30 minutes of adjusting.