Options

New Rinker ??

DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
https://www.boatingmag.com/2020-rinker-38-qbx-first-look?KE3TkwTOV5stQPKv.03

Has this been formally announced yet ?  I haven't seen much on it.

Comments

• Options
    I must have missed it....thanks
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that picture is the product then that will be an awesome looking boat! A sports car for the water.....
  • Options
    I agree, and with outboards, LOTS of room below !
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would be a nice look boat, but I doubt it's gonna be in the typical Rinker budget range.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Outboards...  yuck. Will be interesting to hear more details as they become available. 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super charged ford coyote motors with 7000 red line it about time to some new motor tech in a boat. The mercuiser 496 was made in 2004 right?
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I thought it was before that...  new engine tech is great, and man would I ever appreciate outboards from a maintenance perspective.  I'm just all about space above deck and a usable swim platform..  perhaps they are able to nail the design and not impact that factor.
    Not that it really matters to me as our next boat will be a fly bridge with inboards... 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    I agree, and with outboards, LOTS of room below !
    Not as much as you think.  The mechanical room (for batteries, holding tank, genny, etc.) will be almost as big as a normal engine room, so the space saved will be minimal.  To me, it doesn't make up for losing the swim platform.   
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet this design is more of a concept than reality. It’s like all of the futuristic concept cars that never come out.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭
    I was at the Rinker factory Friday. They had this in progress. Doesn't look exactly like the rendering but was impressive. Figured I couldn't take a picture so didn't even try.
  • Options
    @LaRea:  (To me, it doesn't make up for losing the swim platform. )    

I agree....I feel like the swim deck area is one of the MOST used areas on our boat.   I thought perhaps the outboard design would free up VAST amounts of living space down below, but now I'm thinking the the swim platform is more important...especially since you really don't gain all that much in the aft cabin area.  I had an opportunity to inspect a brand new Formula cross-over at a recent boat show that had 4- 400's hanging off the back. It was an impressive boat, but without a swim platform, it just didn't make sense.
  • Options
    At the same time, I'm often struck by how differently people use their boats.  I guess if you never swim or dive, and you never raft up with other boats, maybe you'd see a swim platform as optional.  
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have opportunity to raft up and to many darn gators around me to swim, but, would not do with out the platform! 3' more of room, put my grille on it,...need to just stand back there and hang out....
  • Options
    My swim platform equates to the back porch on my house.  It's an entirely separate area to hang out, take in the sunsets, socialize during raft-ups...a jumping off point for swimming and a dock for waverunners and dinghys .. (the down side ?  its a "spot-a-Pot" for the ducks in my marina)
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I still love the idea of outboards but agree that a platform is valuable. I've seen large pontoon designs with a platform over the outboards. Don't see why a cruiser couldn't be built the same. Would be a little higher off the water of course.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    You mean like the Pursuit 365.  As I've said before -- it's all the space and amenities of a Rinker 320EX, packed into 41 feet of LOA.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Willhound, remember the searay 370 Venture?  It came with outboards hidden with a fully usable swim platform.

Back to topic, I can't wait to see Rinker's larger cruiser!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the great things about a Rinker is the flat cockpit floor. It's a cuirser dont want to see the motors. The bow is a hang out for sun and the "swim" platfrom is for jumping off and getting back on. Out boards have no place here. 300hp out board is 30G go look at a 20 year old out board, oh can't find one how about a 20 year old cruiser the marina's full of them and older ones too. Ok back to work my rant is over.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    And yet, somehow, there's a thriving market for outboard cruisers.  It doesn't fit my needs, but I'm really interested to see how Rinker's offering will stack up against the others.  
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the appeal for boats with outboards is the potential for better fuel efficiency and easier maintenance.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EASIER maintenance. For sure.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    For a big express cruiser, is fuel efficiency really any better with outboards than sterndrives?  Fuel burn is governed by wave drag and hull drag, not propulsion efficiency. 

Easier to maintain, yes certainly.  Quieter too, and a maybe bit more space below-decks.  Also, some guys get a tent in their pants from the visual of seeing a row of big outboards rather than the same horsepower hidden away down in the ER. 

For the way I use my boat, none of those factors outweigh the practicality of a swim platform.  
  • Options
    Correct me if I am wrong, but is there REALLY that much of a fuel efficiency advantage to having 3 or 4  350hp/400hp outboards hanging off the back ?  In order to push a 35ft-40ft boat through the water at speed, I can only imagine that 4 engines would actually be a fuel liability.  I for one, could never keep up with a boat like that, but dang, I bet they burn lots of gas !!! And in reality, I don't need my cruiser to go that fast. (but that's just me) 
     The other thing is, maintenance and winterization... Now, with 4 engines, any time I'm saving by not crawling around in my engine compartment, I'm now losing because I have those extra outboards to work on.

I guess in reality .....its apples and oranges....whatever you like.
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    There are pros and cons with both I guess. I just remember the 40' SeaRay at the NYC boat show with 3 350 Merc outboards that cruise at around 30 but will do 50mph and burn 116 GPH! A 40' bow rider with small cuddy cabin.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/