2002 RINKER 232 BR

Hello all,

I am a current Rinker owner (04 192 Captiva) was planning on keeping it as I'm fairly young (22) and the boat size is adequate for me for the time being all though i always wished the boat was a little bigger, i guess thats the "2foot-itis" I'm always hearing about. That being said I was doing some classified searching out of boredom the other day and local to me there is a 2002 rinker 232 posted for sale, talked with the owner and he seems willing to negotiate to a decent price... so my questions are to any of you who have owned this era rinker especially the 232... it does have a carbed 5.0 with thunderbolt ignition which is my least favorite part about the boat as even my 4.3 in the 192 is MPI and I'm worried that the 5.0 may be slightly underpowered.. so thats my main question.. is it sufficient power? I will absolutely be putting hydraulic trim tabs on any boat i buy as they help in the rougher lakes I do my boating in... as well as help tremendously with planing.. so basically is there anything i should watch out for with a 2002 Rinker (232) and does that power plant seem "good enough" not interested in WOT just enough to plane with a decent amount of people onboard (no more than 6) and pull a tube and occasional wake boarder..(again it will have trim tabs on it) This forum has been great to me thus far even with a crazy question or 2 i had  and ill more than likely be in a rinker for the rest of my life even when im ready for a brand new 26qx (absolutely in love with that) but i think the size and layout of the 232 will be more than perfect for me until im ready in a few to buy a newer bigger boat

Comments

• Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a 2000 232 that is a cuddy cabin.  I wouldn't want it, if it only had the 5.0 in it. My last boat was a 21 foot Four Winns, also a cuddy that had the 5.0 fuel injected, and I wasn't impressed with the power fully loaded.  My 232 has the 350 MAG, which is 300 hp. Very sufficient, and there are plenty of 232's with the 454.  
    Unless the owner would let you test drive it, I'd keep looking for minimum a regular 5.7, but even better the 350MAG. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    I have a 2002 212 with the 5.0 carbed engine. The engine is strong and runs well, so I would not sweat the carb vs. MPI, but I don’t know how much heavier a 232 is over a 212. I suspect that 5.0 is a bit under-powered.

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• strictlybliznesstrictlybliznes Member Posts: 46
    Hmm understood, like I said I really like my 192 but I have offers for mine currently literally for more than I’d pay for this 232 im speaking ofincluding the trim tabs and install.., not sure why the seller is letting go so cheap, (maybe because it’s underpowered.. idk) oat is in good condition cosmetically and owner claims to be in just as good mechanical shape.. I’d be going with a mechanic if I was to purchase  but I could literally move up boat size and still end up ahead investment wise, don’t know if that would justify/ make it worth it?? Not really sure what to do... maybe just keep the 192 as it’s in immaculate condition and I’m sure I can sell for same money in next year or 2. Only reason I’m even considering It is because I seriously think the price point is an absolute steal.. and again I just want to cruise mid 30 low 40mph and pull a wakeboarder up with 6 max passengers
    Well, I can't speak for the 5.0 in my sized boat, but I can pull up a 200 lb slalom skier like it's nothing, with 4 adults in the boat, plus coolers, and all gear with the 350mag. When I had my 21 foot Four Winns and the 5.0, there was no way that scenario was happening.  Wakeboarders are easier to pull up, I'm just using the slalom ski as a reference point... 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭
    I have a 2001 232CC with the 5.7EFI. That is underpowered with more than 2 people. I would keep looking.
  • vyborny1vyborny1 Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    I would agree it might be a little underpowered. My 1st Rinker was a 1998 212 cuddy & was powered by a carbed 5.7L. A quick look on nada shows the 232 dry-weight at 4100#. Again the old saying goes, no one has ever complained about having too much power, but... 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee
  • strictlybliznesstrictlybliznes Member Posts: 46
    looks like general consensus is underpowered... heartbroken as I was exited to move up but glad i asked 
    One of the huge reasons the step up to the 350mag makes such a difference is the dual prop Bravo 3 outdrive.  Keep searching, I found a deal on my boat a couple years ago, at the right time. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • 69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Edit....
    Post edited by 69fastback on
  • 69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I have a 232 with the 350 MAG. I wouldn't want the 5.0. 

Stupid ipad freezing up....
    Post edited by 69fastback on
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a 232cc with a 5.7L (carb)/Alpha 1. It was just enough power. I have been on a few 232's that had the 5.0 and they were dogs. If the price was right, and it was in great condition, you could consider getting her, run her for a year, save some $$ and drop a 350MAG in her. Then you would have a great boat.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭
    Lake_Bum said:
    One of the huge reasons the step up to the 350mag makes such a difference is the dual prop Bravo 3 outdrive.  Keep searching, I found a deal on my boat a couple years ago, at the right time. 

I have the Bravo 3, 5.7EFI (no mag). Underpowered
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Rinker 232/236 were beautiful boats. Sleek and fast when correctly powered. I had one with captain's call and 502. It went like a squirrel on fire! If the boat and interior is great take it and find/build an engine for it. That would be awesome too.