Options

Best App For Nav / Charts?

rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
Looking for input as I think a lot of us are leveraging new tech in our boats.  Navionics has changed their pricing model for app use and ability to use features, their ratings and customer comments are far from positive- check your app store to see.  What is the best alternative for app based nav and that would be the most versatile file type.

I want to mount a tablet for VV and charts, Navionics doesn't look to be the best offering any longer and am looking for another source.

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a firm believer in using a chartplotter in a boat versus a device not intended to be used in a boat.  While a tablet can do what you need it to, it's not designed for the marine environment.  Same for vessel view.

But that's my opinion.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe this will help you

https://www.sailmagazine.com/diy/navigating-the-app-world

I'm with @Stodge regarding the chart plotter...I do run VVM on my phone but only to glance at once in a while.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    The other consideration, which I should have mentioned, is the safety aspect.  For the DSC on your fixed mount VHF radio (the single most important safety device on your boat) to work to its full potential, it needs GPS input.  Pretty much every chartplotter on the market has an interface to/from VHF radios equipped with DSC, which is every marine VHF manufactured since about 2000.  

When you have an MMSI number in your VHF radio, which has your contact info, boat description etc., then hitting the DISTRESS button on your VHF radio transmits your current location (provided by the chartplotter) and your MMSI number to the Coast Guard.  That way they know who you are, where you are and that you are in distress.

And yes I give the same speech when I do vessel exams.  :)  

[stepping off soap box now]

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, @rinker270nb didn't explicitly state that he was abandoning a fixed plotter, just that he was investigating other options than Navionics as an app. If he is considering abandoning a fixed marine rated plotter, then I would echo the comments above for the same reasons. But that might be difficult given that (as far as I know) there isn't a ready made depth sounder interface that works with Navionics or any other mobile app and a tablet. (Feel free to prove me wrong, I have a feeling I might be).
    I would encourage anyone moving to a mobile solution to still have even a cheap, but certified, plotter mounted for back up.
    That being said, I'll still go to bat, for now, for Navionics as an app.
    I don't like some of the changes they recently made but apart from a few differences in how to access some of the functions, I don't see that they've necessarily dumbed it down. They are definitely pushing the social network aspect with the "Active Captain" mode, which at this point can be turned off, and like any other "social network" it has nothing to do with creating new social relationships and has everything to do with collecting information on you and your social network so that the information can be monetized in some way. But mark my words, eventually even the fixed plotters with map chips will move in that direction. Buried somewhere deep in the licencing agreement on start up will be a permission for your unit to somehow transmit data back to the mothership. My Humminbird with Navionics + card already has this feature (that I have disabled) that can collect supposedly anonymous information on your travels like depth soundings, stops etc. and uploads it the next time you put your chip in your computer for a map update. Garmin has a similar program. I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, you are providing them with information that allows them to update their base charts for free. On the other hand, in areas where channels and depths change rapidly due to current, tide etc. it can be a useful feature given that all of the plotter and map manufacturers rely on government map data for their base map, and we all know these aren't updated as frequently as they should be.
    When all is said and done, I still think Navionics has the best app just based on sheer scale of users and update ability.
    OK, putting my tin foil hat back on and heading to the bunker......
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Thanks for the words of caution, I have a new Simrad chartplotter installed and am putting a tablet at the helm for VV.  To run a chart app as secondary and as a takeaway tool manage gps locations, is my intention.  I am updating my vhf w DSC that will link to the chartplotter.

I went to download Navionics and saw the bad reviews and wanted to see what else was being used .
  • Options
    If you have an iPad there is a Garmin Blue Chart app that is supposed to be pretty good.

• Options
    Thanks! I picked up a Samsung tablet with gps chip, and does not have a data plan.  Downloading maps will be needed.  Simrad has the ability to mirror the screen to a tablet as well.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Sounds like you've got it right. 

For readers drawn to the subject line because they want to use a phone or tablet as a primary nav device, I'll repeat what I've said many times. 

Think of worst-case boating.  You're delayed past sunset, pop-up storm, wind ripped your canvas, huge waves are soaking the helm, passengers are all puking.  Sooner or later, when you end up "in the sh#t," don't rely on an office-grade device to get you home.  Unless you want to end up in BoatUS magazine.  Get marine-grade, permanently-mounted, weatherproof gear.