Options

Removing Swim Ladder Screws

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
Had the template done yesterday for new swim platform. (Yeah!). Tried to remove the stock swim ladder from the top of the existing platform on my 2000 FV270. It appears the mount uses machine bolts with a nut below, in a spot that I predict is impossible to reach? Anyone done it?
As the swim platform guy pointed out, if I just remove the ladder steps and leave the mounts I'd be ok, but me being me, I don't like the idea. I don't even like the idea of just drilling the heads off with a cobalt drill and leaving the nuts behind. But I could live with it if I have to. Ideas?
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a far reach. I have 1 loose nut on my swim ladder and I am dreading fixing it. It is a two person job, or try a pair of vice grips on the nut.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Thanks @Cableguy Greg
    I'll have to climb in there and take a look. If it looks like too much of a hassle I'll drill the heads, push them through and pick them up on the other side with a magnet or claw. Going to seal up the holes with 5200 before we mount the new platform anyway.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    If the area you're drilling in has a core (like mine) then you'll want to fill it with penetrating epoxy to seal the wood.   5200 will stick to the outside, but penetrating epoxy (as the name implies) gets inside.  

Just my $0.02

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Good suggestion @Stodge. I'll probably even hone them out slightly to get it in there good.