Options

Best Source for Oval Port Hole Window?

rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
The oval port window in the head of my 2000 340 is falling apart? Any good websites? Or bad ones to stay away from?

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need the OEM one. Rinker should have the model.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    @rmrstlmo ... you can order this through your local dealer.
  • Options
    ericdataericdata Member Posts: 38
    What sucks is that my windows are fine, it's the molded plastic hinges that are broken on some.  They should have made them rubber.  
  • Options
    It's a job to replace these too, and do it right.  They unscrew from the inside..but you have the caulk on the outside and between the window frame and the hull.  It's worth taking off the SS trim ring and recauling it all correct so you avoid leaks.  The trim ring comes off after taking the inside part off, you'll see the screws on the tabs: note this ring bends VERY easy.  I can get you a whole step by step process I used and NO leaks.  Just let me know.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BD - That would be extremely helpful to have the step by step process. Then I'd know exactly what tools to bring to the lake. The trim ring is missing, I guess that is a separate part. Thanks for the help!

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options

If it like the one on my 342, it has a SS trim ring on the outside (like all the others)..yours is missing?  You do not need much for tools, screw driver, razor blade, tape, caulk, patience.  lol

Here's what I did, after some trial and error:

Used blue paint masking tape to tape the trim ring in place..then use a razor to trim it and leave the tape on the hull (it helps re-align the trim ring again).

Remove the inside screws to the window (there is a screw behind the window hinge - if you pop the caps off the end of the hinge you will see the screws to remove the whole openable part of the window)

You'll need to break the caulk seal away from where it meets the trim ring, use a razor or other small tool.  Go slow and careful!!  Then the whole window assembly will coome out from the inside.

The trim ring: undo the several screws holding it in (you will see them after taking the window out).  I used very gentle heat on the trim ring (small flameless soldering iron, butane type) as it will break the caulk from the trim ring.

Now you need to clean up all the caulk from the boat.

I used Boatlife caulk to reseal since 4000/4200 is a PITA and would never some off in the future.  I used almost an entire 14oz tube to do a window.  I smeared the exposed hull portion where it was cut out as a bandaid.  Here is where the blue tape part comes in, since the cut hole is larger than the window, it has a lot of potential slop when re-installing.  I FILLED the concave side of the SS ring so when putting in place I know I had a full seal, set to the blue tape cutout (might need a buddy here) and then screw it back in place.  Now you can install the window from the inside and put caulk around it where it meets the hull and where it meets up with the trim ring.  It will make sense when you see how it goes together. Wipe away the excess caulk and tape and done!  Beer time.

All told, took me ~2.5 hours per port hole (I reused mine so cleaing up time was in that too).

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thanks... That is a big help. First up is to get the window. And yes, the SS trim ring is in the bottom of the lake.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    With the ring gone, you should dry fit the parts before using the caulk. The inner piece will drive where the outer piece will fit. Then tape the ring and go from there.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Finally had a day to put the window in over the weekend.  The window ordered through the dealer was an exact match.  It helped having the step by step process.  It took several hours but it turned out nice.  I forgot to take a picture to share.  Thanks for the help.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone replaced the fixed "galley" porthole window with an opening porthole window? Just curious. I have an '06 FV 250 and would enjoy the extra ventilation.
  • Options
    I would think it is doable.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    lesles Member Posts: 24
    My galley porthole window leaks when It rains . It seems like it is coming in behind screen and window on the bottom when closed as far as I can tell. Anyone else have had this issue on the 270?
  • Options
    MarcdohcMarcdohc Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    I bought a oval window on Ebay, came with a screen and trim ring for $90. I cut a hole in the side of my 1999 266 and wa la! the only 266 in America with a window in the head. It takes basic carpentry skills and some good old ingenuity. The hardest part was making it look stock on the inside. Believe it or not I used the top of a plastic kitchen trash can from Home Depot that was about 10" x 20". I cut the the top 2" off and contoured it to the shape of the hull. It looked like it was installed from the factory. As it should have been.