Options

Trim Pump Reservoir Leak

RinkerRookieRinkerRookie Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
Last fall I noticed a little trim fluid leak in the bilge.  The cap seemed to be stripped so I installed a new one.  I just pulled her out of storage and it has leaked more.  It appears to be leaking from where the pump motor meets the reservoir.  I was thinking of just replacing the o-ring (#15).  Just thought I'd ask in case these pumps are notoriously faulty and I should just replace the whole unit. 2010 246 BR w/approx 350 hours.  Thoughts?
Fin and Tonic (w/Lime)...

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, as soon as you see a price to "replace the whole thing" I'm sure you will be looking at that seal again....I'd order the seal and take it apart and go from there....either the seal is bad or perhaps something struck the tank itself and has a crack in it...can't imagine what the whole assy would cost....
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I had a motor go on me a few years ago and found one on eBay. It was pretty easy to swap it with no need to change the o-ring. I’d be sure it is the o-ring, is the motor/pump assembly screwed down fully? 
    Post edited by Ian on

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    His motor seems fine, just a leak...I don't know about him but I can't afford to replace something I can fix- I'd have a new boat by now!
  • Options
    RinkerRookieRinkerRookie Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    rasbury said:
    His motor seems fine, just a leak...I don't know about him but I can't afford to replace something I can fix- I'd have a new boat by now!
    After further review, I think the leak may be coming from the quick connects (#5).  These also have o-rings.  I'm going to order both sets of o-rings and replace.  Hopefully that's it.  The only reason I asked about replacing the whole thing is because I wondered if they were notoriously bad units.  Thanks for your input.
    Fin and Tonic (w/Lime)...
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    QDs are notorious (in general) for leaking.  Hopefully that is it!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I"ve had three boats with merc power trim and never had a problem with any of them or leaking...
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    rasbury said:
    I"ve had three boats with merc power trim and never had a problem with any of them or leaking...

same here.  (did you just jinx us?)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    With the issues Ras has had I am sure he did  :smirk:@RinkerRookie I still say check where the pump fits that it is screwed down right, maybe not necessarily the o-ring itself. I agree, no need to change motor if not needed, just that overall as a unit only my motor went, not the pump itself.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options