Battery Placement

When i had my 342 winterized they removed the batteries.  Now I am not sure what ones go where.  2 are normal size and 2 are larger.  Does it matter what ones hook up where?

Comments

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    The 2 "normal" (around 11" wide) and likely group 24 or 34 would be your starting batteries, the bigger (around 13" wide) and likely group 31 would be the house batteries. Or the 4th is the generator battery, I don't have one.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Agree with @icoultha, the smaller batteries should be your starters, and the larger batteries should be in parallel for the house.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    yep agree with the comments. On my 342 I have two group 24's as starters and they are on the port side outboard between the water heater and the transom. Then I have two group 29's as house which are next to the starters inboard. 
    Respectfully - whoever removed them should have labeled all of the wires and should be responsible for putting them back as they found them. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No labels on the batteries ... crank for crank, deep cycle for house. Otherwise the guys above are probably right, the bigger ones are typically the house load.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Should you run a 'regular' car battery as your starter battery?  Then deep cycle for house?  Any advantage of running a deep cycle as a starter battery?  
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as the battery has 1000MCA, you can run a deep cycle on both banks. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    I am looking to change my starting battery, the deep cycle battery is 750 MCA.  What battery do you recommend for the starting battery?  A CCA 1000+?
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I picked up two of these - after ordering from Lowe's -

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Deka-12-Volt-1-000-Amp-Marine-Battery/50183765

West Marine sells the exact same battery under their house brand for $25 more.

Nice thing about ordering from Lowe's is they get it direct from East Penn so it's factory fresh. Mine had a 5/20 build date.