Options

Faucet drinking water filter?

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
Any faucet water filter recommendations? We go through 20-30 Costco bottles of water a weekend. This means lugging the 40 pack on and then trash bins full of empty bottles. 

We do have a camping water filter for city water in to the boat, but I'd like to do a much nicer filter on the galley faucet to make the faucet water drinkable. Wondering if anyone has done this and has any recommendations?
07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe a Britta pitcher? 

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Thought of that but was thinking one of those deals that attaches to the faucet. Wasn’t sure if anyone actually drinks from their faucets.

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    There is a Brita model that attached right to a faucet. Kinda clunky though.
    https://brita.ca/products/faucet-water-filters/complete/
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    We shower and wash dishes with it.  But our drinking water (and the dogs) is either from a bottle or a container from the house.

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Our resident expert on this topic is @Dream_Inn.  He maintains his system as drinkable.  In the long-distance cruising forums, they swear by this combo:  1) Always use your own hose.  2) Put a filter on the hose.  3) Use a filter at the faucet.  
  • Options
    @LaRea that works good for "city" water, but does he have a solution for the water in the tank?

• Options
    Thanks LR, I’m already doing 1 and 2 and this is about adding 3 so that’s the info I was looking for. Interested in Dreams feedback. 

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Stodge said:
    We shower and wash dishes with it.  But our drinking water (and the dogs) is either from a bottle or a container from the house.
    Likewise, take down a slab of bottles for ease of use and handing out otherwise the 3.5 gallon tub from the supermarket to fill up an in fridge decanter and Yeti mugs.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    LaRea said:
    Our resident expert on this topic is @Dream_Inn.  He maintains his system as drinkable.  In the long-distance cruising forums, they swear by this combo:  1) Always use your own hose.  2) Put a filter on the hose.  3) Use a filter at the faucet.  
    I do 1) and 2) for tank fill and dock hook up always, no 3). With a cast iron stomach I am less concerned than the admiral and when connected to dock, water from faucet I will drink. Otherwise as noted earlier, use the 3.5G tub water.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    I want to do the same with mine. All you would need is an inline filter like a fridge has. I googled a bit a while back but didn’t finalize my search yet
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Walmart - RV water filters. Fit it on the dock riser and attach your hose that goes to the boat. Use the same to fill tank.
    Post edited by Ian on

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    Agree, I have two on the dock every summer. One goes to the city water going in to the boat. Buy that new each year, then the previous years city water filter becomes this years dock hose filter so each hose has one. I also have a nice new camco rv water line hose for my city water. Think I’ve got my answer here and will get a Britta or Pur faucet mount filter for the galley sink. Thanks all

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Sorry, enjoyed a relaxing, very nice weekend on the boat.

So, I agree with LaRea and all 3 steps.  My filter though is simple.  I buy the Walmart ones (RV ones as icoultha mentioned) that connect to the garden hose and change them out once or twice thru the season and also have one I use on the hose that I keep in the boat when I go to other marinas. I never put water thru my tank without a filter.

The key really is to only put in your tank what you need.  Then, when you get to the boat on Friday, flush it out and put new in.  I do this every weekend and yes drink the water from our tank.  You could connect one of the filters between the tank and the pump if you'd like, but I try to make sure it's all good before even going into the tank.  We do also carry a 5 gallon bag of water for the long weekends that gets used as drinking water.  It's mainly to help us go 3 or 4 days on the hook with one tank full though.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Good stuff dream, thanks! Plan is to just drink the city water from the faucet which is clean in the first place. Agree on a fresh tank, I keep it maybe 1/3 full for going out for the day and I always use RV tank treatment to keep it fresh. Make sure to flush it every couple of weeks. I think the RV tank treatment is just watered chlorine but who knows.

• Options
    You guys inspired me to install a water filter for my icemaker.  Here's the link.

http://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/9898/diy-install-of-water-filter-for-ice-maker
  • Options
    Update: I ended up buying a culligan faucet mounted filter for the galley and it works great! Came with different attachments to attach to faucet and attached to the faucet in my 342 without an issue.

So we have the blue camco rv filter on the dock, brand new camco drinking water hose from dock to boat input and the below filter on the faucet. We have been drinking right from the tap in our large tumblers the last few weekends and are very happy with the quality and taste. Awesome to not be so dependent on bottled water and lugging 40 packs of water around...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01E1FMZ5C?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

• Options
    MojosBoatMojosBoat Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    We have been using the RV filter on the hose and we go through a lot of water on the weekends with 4 of us usually on the boat. Our water seems fine. We have done the smell and taste test and it has always been fine. We have made coffee with it but we still use bottled water, small and large bottles, for drinking water just because it is convenient. Our ice taste fine out of the ice maker.   
    ALL IN AGAIN, 410 FV Twin 8.1 H/O MPI, V-Drives , 
  • Options
    I used the city water like normal water.  But I only use the tank water for showers and washing dishes.

• Options
    Much the same as @Stodge but I have a cast iron stomach and could drink the water in India so a treated tank is no issue for me if I had to drink it. The Admiral however is another matter. As noted earlier I have the blue RV filter on the dock water line for at dock and tank fill up.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    Yea I had to have something at the faucet to drink it. Maybe overkill but the plastic lines in the boat are 13 years old and while home plumbing is typically much older, it is used more often and doesnt sit with antifreeze for half the year. Just had to have something at the source. That said - the ice maker has no filter other than the RV on the dock and I've been sipping rummer's with that ice for years with no filter so consider the source :):)

• Options
    As I said, you guys inspired me to install a filter for the ice maker and cockpit sink.  I'm happy to report that the ice tastes just fine, and I'm kinda picky about what I drink.  I also fill the coffee pot with filtered water from the cockpit sink.  

I should try refilling water bottles from the cockpit sink, and see how it tastes.  (I like the convenience of just grabbing a cold bottle from the fridge.)