342 Radar arch repair

johnepjohnep Seacoast NHPosts: 63Member ✭✭
The radar arch on my 2005 342 has several rust bubbles coming out.  I figured I could grind it down and prime and paint those areas.  After grinding them there seems to be bondo in several areas.  Is that normal? My main reason for doing this was to fix leaks when my canvas is up. Not sure if I should use regular bondo or a marine grade if there is such a thing.  Seems my minor repair is turning into a much larger job.

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Alexandria VirginiaPosts: 3,214Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it near the base?  Some early 342s suffered freeze damage from water being trapped.  A gelcoat repair from 12-13 years ago might require touch-up at this point. 

Can you post some photos? 
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Holland, MichiganPosts: 4,450Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the structure of the arch is aluminum, so that is not ‘rust’ per se.  You will need to get to bare metal, then prep/prime/paint for aluminum. The arch is glassed/gel coated for the finish. 

2003 342FV "Black Diamond", 350 MAG MPI, 20P 4x4 Props, PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • johnepjohnep Seacoast NHPosts: 63Member ✭✭
    The arch is coated with a type of filler, not fiberglass. I have found a two part epoxy sealer primer.  Once that has set up I will fill in the areas and gel coat it.

• Handymans342Handymans342 Posts: 7,258Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    I researched drilling the screw holes out and taping them and using high strength nylon machine screws to avoid the corrosion from 2 dissimilar metals. 
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 3,816Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    The arches are painted with an AwlGrip style paint, not gelcoat. That is why they fade at a different rate than the boat itself.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • raybo3raybo3 Revere MAPosts: 3,984Moderator mod
    Why not buy  aluminum screws?
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org
    raybo3 said:
    Not strong enough
    raybo3 said:
    Not strong enough
    Not true. We use them all the time. 
    They may be if they are machine screws. Why did the factory use stainless screws into Alunimum knowing it would cause issues later on with corrosion?? Heck, why did the chicken cross the road?? LOL
    edited April 12
     all boat manufacturers use s/s screws into aluminum. Its just easier I guess.  
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Holland, MichiganPosts: 4,450Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chicken question answer: to see his friend Gregory Peck. 

2003 342FV "Black Diamond", 350 MAG MPI, 20P 4x4 Props, PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • SeaHareSeaHare Posts: 142Member ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what paint or product to use for a rinker arch ( 01)? I need to touch mine up from the zipper hitting it in the wind
    01 FV 310, 5.7s carbed, B3s
    I was told by Rinker it is the same color as the Ford vans .Oxford white
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Bay Village & Marblehead, OH.Posts: 2,074Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16
    I was told by Rinker it is the same color as the Ford vans .Oxford white
    I believe that is just for the boats that used the bright white color. The boats that had the off white/light beige color used a different color. My gelcoat and arch are a lot tanner than a 95 Econoline :open_mouth:

My boat is "sand white" above the rub rail and on the arch. Here is what matches perfect for my gelcoat repair:

https://www.iboats.com/shop/spectrum-color-rinker-2000-2005-sand-white-color-boat-gel-coat-patch-paste-repair-kit.html
    Wine-N-Down -- 2006 342 Express Cruiser