Options

mishap at the boat ramp

skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    It's a glorious time of year for ramp-watching.  Bring a cooler.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the story gets a little more interesting... good lesson for everyone.. 

Ad was posted 5 days ago.. video was posted 2 days ago.

"This is a 1975 mako 21’ boat, one of the best years and hulls ever built. Boat was completely gutted and re done. The boat reaches 50 MPH, it’s a definitely a head turner. No one in Miami has a custom 9.5’ fiber glass roof like this, one of a kind"

https://offerup.com/item/detail/655325453/

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Sold for $18,000.00
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭
    A similar thing happened to a friend years ago. He bought a 21 foot Larson from the Detroit Boat Show. Driving to the launch for his very first adventure, another driver blew through a red light at an intersection and hit the boat/trailer. Knocking the axle sideways. Loaded the boat/trailer on a flatbed and launched it the same way as the video. He had a better outcome. Never got water over the stern.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    That just made me cringe and wanted to do something while watching the video!  How can somebody be THAT stupid!  WOW!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Gotta be rich to be that foolish. Love the guy bailing with the rails submerged. What a sad video.
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I'll share my two most embarrassing moments:

1. My first "real" boat (over 20'). Bought July 3rd. Plug was missing, so the dealer threw in a rubber stopper plug. I mentioned we're heading straight to the ramp (a ramp we had never been) so the dealer put the plug in and tightened it with a wrench. Again, this is a rubber stopper plug - not the right type - and the thru bolt was brass. It was also used - it wasn't a new plug by any means. Drug the boat 2 hours to our new, bigger ramp. Columbia Island Marina near DC - you launch, then disconnect the trailer and drop it in one space and the tow vehicle in another. So I launched, motor fired right up, left my wife and BIL with the boat and dropped the trailer, then the tow vehicle. Someone taps my shoulder as I'm grabbing ice and beer at the little marina store - my boat is SINKING! Yeah, that brass bolt snapped when the dealer put the wrench on it, and once launched the plug came out and floated off. I set my ice and beer down, sprinted to the tow vehicle, hooked the trailer, drove down the sidewalk to bypass the line of boaters waiting to splash (waiting because some idiot left his wife and BIL sinking at the ramp), and pulled it. No harm, no foul, water never made it to the engine thankfully. 

Drained the boat, ice and beer were gone, bought a real plug and more ice (marina wouldn't sell me a second 24-pack of beer the same day), and had a soggy maiden voyage.

2. First time with the 280EC on a shallow-angled lake ramp with no current and a light tail wind. I'm so used to a steep, slippery ramp with 6kts of current and wake from jackass boaters in the channel. The steep ramp keeps the trailer from floating, and I use the current to keep the boat against the dock when I first pull in, then all I need is for the wife to push the bow out and I motor right over the trailer.

In these PERFECT conditions I could NOT get the boat on the trailer. The trailer floats, the boat floats, the tailwind keeps edging the trailer sideways, and the ramp is too narrow to approach except dead-on. The wife has to keep the kids alive (they're suicidal little $#@$#@% when I need them to sit and behave quietly for a moment).

After 10 minutes of thinking about the problem (thankfully this was before 7am and we were the only ones around) a pontoon boat arrived - of course by then I'm sitting on the swim platform with my feet holding the trailer straight facing the wrong **** way. I'm also drinking a 20oz Monster, which he mistook for a beer. Guy laughed at me, but offered to help. With him holding the trailer in place I pulled out a bit, executed a flawless 180° pirouette in the big single like a pro, and pulled right on. He showed me the 4 PVC pipes full of cement he strapped to the rear of his trailer - takes it off when he goes to steeper ramps.
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    I found myself talking to the video, telling them no, but they didn't listen.  Unreal what some people will do. 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it WAS a nice boat. Wrong on so many levels. Surprised the tires on that little trailer didn't collapse with all that water in the boat. But Hey! That L.E.D. speaker's got game!
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)