Options

What is this junk on my filter???

craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
Has anyone seen a filter this bad and know what this gunk is?  It's like a dirt infused sludge.  This was on my port cool fuel drop in filter.  I change these every season and I have never seen anything but some discoloration in some of the pleats in the past. The starboard filter was normal. I have separate tanks. I'm thinking something must have gotten in the port tank or gunk in the tank let loose. I did run this tank really low at one point last season.  Both engines were running great when I put them to bed in the fall. 

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did the bottom disc filter look? My cool fuel has a disc filter at the bottom of the canister and then that filter in your Pic. Any chance that is remnants of the disc?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats wierd out of a fuel tank. Check the vent line to the tank also. My guess is came loose from in the tank walls. Doing mine this weekend.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    The disc filter actually looked in much better shape which surprised me as I have heard that is the most important filter in there and does alot of the heavy lifting.  I'm thinking something must of either let loose in the tank, which doesnt make me feel good about what's going in there....  or perhaps it was bad gas and a chunk let loose from the stations fill hose. The attendants at a couple stations I have been too have told me they cannot make it through a single season without having to replace the fill hose due to the ethanol gunking up the lines.  
    On a positive note the paint in the cool fuel module appears to be holding at this point.  Knock on wood...  I am not looking forward to replacing those things at 1100 a pop.  It just still baffles me they would paint the inside of the filter and pump housings...
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    That is a lot of sludge!!  Almost looks like paper.  This is a good reminder that I need to change mine out after I go thru my first tank of fuel.  As for the fuel modules, I've had to replace both of mine twice.  Sure don't want to deal with that again!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a cat fell into the gas tank.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stodge said:

I was going to say a mouse??
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I had thought that the fuel passes through the disc first, am I wrong? If it passes through the disc first, how the heck did that crap make it past the disc?

• Options
    nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    It looks like something that grew there during the off season. Some kind of mold or something.... 

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    Ive seen mold in diesel but never in gas 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did a mouse crawl in there an die, or what? Almost looks like fur. Or cat-tail fluff.
    Good news is that the filter did its' job.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my 270 I have an in line filter and then I have the other filter by the fuel pump by the alternator...do I have another filter yet I don't know about???

Also, saw the coolest thing on Cheadar....it is a boat wash for the bottom of your boat! It has a big brush, well several brushes and you pull up over it and it scrubs off the bottom of your boat...was not able to pull a link for it but the darnedest thing!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
  • Options
    Ras - The cool fuel module has 2 filters in it, my 06 has it and I think it was around in 05 too. But before 05 I believe there is the inline filter you mentioned, and then the spin on by the pump, those are your two. 

• Options
    Mine is an 06...so if I have it, where the heck is it located? I thought I had this motor down....
  • Options
    Ras - On my 496 it's right next to the sea water pump, stbd side of engine, just below the front of the manifold. 

It did seem like fur almost. I wonder if something died in the tank. I have no clue how it ever would have gotten in there.  The vent line is part of the fuel fill so again no clue how it would have found it's way in.  Probably more likely is it got pumped in there from a fill station. 

Upon investigating the cool fuel module it looks like the fuel enters the top front of the fuel chamber, spins around hitting the main filter, then exits through a small port at the bottom aft of the chamber.  I gather the disc filter is the last line of defense. 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rasbury the 10mm bolts on top with the little handle. The paper filter sits on top of the disc. I shut my fuel off run for a bit then change less fuel spill.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    Stodge said:

I was going to say a mouse??

I thought exactly the same thing, that looks like a decomposed mouse.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    So this is my filter set up on the starboard side...I don't think I have this other filter..
  • Options
    Correct, you don’t have the cool fuel box with 2 filters if that is your set up

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    rasbury said:
    So this is my filter set up on the starboard side...I don't think I have this other filter..

Consider yourself lucky!  (for once! :) )

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express