Does the 260EC engine hatch override have a fuse somewhere?

When trying to get in the engine compartment to reconnect the batteries on my boat, I couldnt open the engine hatch using the override posts. Ended up having to remove the transom shower unit, reaching inside to disconnect the ram, and lifting hatch with table mount hole. Lift motor tested good, and after reconnecting batteries, hatch opened and closed with dashboard switch as normal. Override posts still wouldn’t work. Is there an in-line fuse or circuit breaker between the override posts in battery switch compartment and the hatch motor? I couldn’t find one, but I didn’t take the battery switch compartment apart to check behind the panel. If it is fused, then it kind of defeats the purpose of having an override, doesn’t it? And an actual handle on the engine hatch would have been neat-o, too.

Best Answer

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Here is the battery panel on the 280EC. It does show 2 30A fuses, which should be behind the panel somewhere. Again, the 260's wiring should be very similar.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!

Answers

Did you try changing the polarity on the override? One direction takes the hatch down and the reverse takes the hatch up.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No fuse that I know of. Could be as Greg describes? If it's like mine it's noisy enough that you'd hear it either way. Perhaps a bad connection to one of the studs on the back of the switch panel? Were you using booster cables and a battery in your attempt? Goofy as it sounds, I have seen cables with a break in them, maybe try another set or another battery?
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking what Greg said, did you try reversing the polarity?  Otherwise there has to be a poor connection. If there's a fuse, I'd think it would be common to the hydraulic unit, irrespective of battery power or override ... they'd never put in two separate fuses, that doesn't make sense. So if it worked when you hooked up batteries, it means the fuse (if any) is functioning fine.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

This is the wiring diagram for the 280EC's hatch. The 260EC is very similar, if not the same.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Good info, thanks. I've never checked if my override post work. I replaced the table socket with a screw in deck plate and I can just reach in and pull the pin.
    Andy
  • BilltheThirdBilltheThird Member Posts: 7
    Thank you for all your comments and suggestions, I really appreciate it! My last boat was a 2007 350EC with the same setup for the (much bigger) hatch. One year It wouldn’t open using the studs, but you could hear the motor running. Turned out the guys who winterized it accidentally knocked the retaining pin out of the ram’s extension. Took four of us to lift it, and it got a cable tie after that.
    This time, I used a 750A brand new West Marine jumper cable box, and tried polarity both ways, just to see if I could hear any action at the hatch motor -no luck. The wiring diagrams are great. Kind of thought the simpler one was how it was set up, but the second- with the fuse- is what I suspected when it wouldn’t work. I’ll have to look behind that panel? I couldn’t find any blown fuses, 30A or otherwise.  If they put the fuse underneath the panel, it’s double dumb. 
  • Strother85Strother85 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Any update to this?  I have a 2014 captiva 276. Hatch opens and closes with rocker switch on dash, but the hatch override no longer works for some reason in either direction. Any ideas?
    If you look at the above diagram, it shows a 30 amp fuse on each side.
    Go Steelers!!!