Options

2001 232 w/5.7L impeller change

ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have the new impeller and housing and looking for advice from 232 owners on the easy way to access for the repair. It sits below the floor level in a tight area. I'm thinking of removing the cockpit floor and rear seat to give me more room. Who has changed out the housing and do you have advise?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    My mechanic always cringes when I request the impeller be changed. I also have a 232 with the 350mag engine.  They have to remove part of the bench seat, just to access it. Rinker sure made it hard to access.  I have mine done, every other year. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    I do mine myself every time, and it's really not that hard. There's no need to remove the back seat, whatsoever. I have both removed the whole pump to change it, and just taken the housing off while leaving the pump in place with the belt on. I believe it's easier to just take the 6 bolts out and to remove the impellar housing, while leaving the front in place. I just crawl in the space next to the engine and do it. It's a 30 minute job. 
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    So I did this today, and it turned into a longer, more expensive project. 

RIP sea water pump. Your service here is done. 

Post edited by 69fastback on
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Out with the old in with the new ...........replace and good for another 10
  • Options
    ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭
    I accessed mine last weekend. What a pain in the a$$. Had to remove the cockpit floor and seats. Removed the entire pump. Opened it up and it looked brand new. Now I have a housing/impeller for spare.