Options

Front windsheild reseal

laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
Has anyone resealed the front windshield on there boat? My 270 leaks around the gaskets and drives my crazy! I’m sure the curved glass is not easy to come out and I’m wondering if this would be a call to a windshield repair company? Any thoughts- 

Comments

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    From from what I understand you remove the screws and reseal one at a time ... it’s something on my list to do this year 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Hah!  Timely subject for me, since I had a windshield broken last month.  It is surprisingly easy to remove sections of a windshield. 

Each section of window has its own separate frame.  The frames are attached to each other by screws that you remove mostly from the inside (maybe 1-2 screws from the outside).  It's easy to figure out once you look at them.  

On the outside, along the bottom about an inch above the deck, there's a flat strip of rubber gasket (maybe 1/2" wide) that can be easily pried out with a screwdriver.  Remove it and you'll find a row of screws that hold the frame to the deck.  

When I get my new windshield section, I'm going to remove the entire windshield and renew all of the gaskets and caulking.  Best guess, it will take me and a helper 30 minutes to remove everything, and 3-4 hours to re-install.  

It's a 2-person DIY if you are confident in a handling big, heavy window.  If not, any competent marine contractor could do it, or you could probably get an auto windshield repair company to do it.  

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I replaced the rubber screw cover molding two years ago. When I did it, I removed all of the screws, one at a time, and rebed them with new caulk. It is a PITA, but well worth the time.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    ... or you could probably get an auto windshield repair company to do it.  

I should clarify:  an experienced auto windshield installer ... not some kid with a week of training on Honda Civics.  If you call a chain windshield company, they will probably tell you to pound sand.  
  • Options
    La Rea the entire windshield frame you are talking up? It appears the frame lays on top of a rubber gasket?
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I have the same or similar issue. You can actually see a gap at the top of the port windshield between the frame/gasket and the windshield. At its widest its maybe 1/8 inch. But it leaks like a sieve.  I was debating on caulk.  Where can you get new gaskets?
  • Options
    Yes, there's a rubber gasket between the frame and the deck.  I'm going to replace it, but I haven't tried to find it yet.  I need to ask Malary at Rinker.  Should be a standard part, probably at GLS.  

For a gap, I think I'd try silicone caulk first before replacing gaskets.  
  • Options
    walleyrwalleyr Member Posts: 34
    Any brand of silicone caulk that is best and fairly easy to work with?
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    LaRea said:
    ... or you could probably get an auto windshield repair company to do it.  

I should clarify:  an experienced auto windshield installer ... not some kid with a week of training on Honda Civics.  If you call a chain windshield company, they will probably tell you to pound sand.  
    Hey what do you have against Civics??
  • Options
    Nothing -- the Civic is the #1 favorite among car theft professionals everywhere!

I think any brand of 100% silicone would be fine.  @laureniac1 - why do you think there's a gap?  Was it always like that?  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I would probably use the 3M 4000 to seal it.  At least you know it will stay white and not yellow in time.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Rinker sells the gasket material (part # 2440510, $2.25/foot).  I need 25 feet for my 370.  
  • Options
    Amazing feedback thanks to everyone 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea , call the parts dept at Taylormade systems with the serial number of your windshield. They will sell you the gasket. I bought the screw cover vinyl from them a lot cheaper then from Rinker. Their number is 518-773-0636.

http://www.taylormadesystems.com/hardware/parts/mountingHardware/index.html

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!