Options

Changing out waste tank

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
In a thread last fall I detailed how I was hunting for a new waste tank since mine was cracked from an over zealous pump out and possibly a kinked vent line. Anyway, new tank will require repositioning of the aluminum brackets shown in bottom of pic.
These are currently held in place with pop rivets which over time have failed allowing the tank to move around. When I reposition them I was thinking of 1 inch stainless screws instead of rivets. The hull in that area shouldn't have any issues with using a screw? The battery pans right next to the tank use screws.
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should have no issues, my tank brackets are held in with stainless screws.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Screws it is. Was fun getting old tank out. Still about a half gallon of sludge in there. Would gag a buzzard. Had a pail of water handy and some disinfectant but will take more tomorrow and do some more cleaning before installing the new tank.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pulled my tank last year, wasn’t fun! I was happy I did it in the winter. I couldn’t imagine the smell in the summer heat!!!!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Well, at least no summer heat here yet. Not that I'd mind. Was only about 38F here yesterday when I did it. I'm still a little nervous going 1", think I'll go 3/4".
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure how I’d get mine out if I had to. There ain’t no room wide enough I don’t think. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    With only a single engine in my 270 it wasn't bad. Batteries are still out and I had to turn the flame arrestor cover a smidge and it came right out. New tank is a little higher so will be tighter. I may have to disconnect the hatch ram and pull it out of the way, but I think it'll be ok. May get to it later today but first will be installing the new swim platform while I have my buddies help. The tank I can do on my own.

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    You don’t want to share the joys of previous boating with your buddy’s?  :). I just swapped the pipe work out and that was fun enough finding and getting to all the wire ties it was bundled with other stuff. But being still inside and only with antifreeze in it made for a less odorous chore.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to pull mine out- there was a hole, about 3/16 or maybe a little smaller I could never figure out- it was the least pleasurable fix ever done! I was able to patch it.
  • Options
    Well, I needed the buddies help with the platform, too heavy for one person. The waste tank I can do myself. No room in there anyway, and yeah, none too pleasant. 
    The platform install went well. I still have to get the rest of the supports in place, and once done will post a new thread with pics for that project.