Options

What is the use of this hole in the bilge ?

I have a Rinker 250 (2006) and I'm fascinated by the hole (I guess it is a drain hole) that is made in the bilge-area, see the picture enclosed.

Can anyone tell me what the purpose is and where the water comes from coming trough that hole ?

Comments

• Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    That's a drain that comes from that side of the boat. You should have one on the other side as well.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    Lady DanaLady Dana Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    No, only one side. And you know what exactly it drains ? I mean is it for rainwater and if where that rainwater comes in ?
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks like a water inlet from the bottom of the hull.  The valve is closed in that position.  Not familiar with that model but would think: toilet or a/c inlet, gen set if you have one.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    I think we're talking about the drain hole in the stringer. Itd be there to allow any weepage that accumulates between the stringers to purge into the bilge. Any void thats not filled with foam should have a weep hole.

These boats (like all production boats) are a little inconsistent when it comes to getting them all in or at least not glassed over when the hull is in the layup shop. To give them some slack, its truely a horrible job to have.

Thanks for posting the pics to clarify your point and welcome to the forum. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    The hole in the stringer just allows drainage from the different sections of the hull. Water can get in from many areas, and this just gives it a path to the bilge sump.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    Lady DanaLady Dana Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Ok, thank you everyone !