Options

Fix/Replace Cockpit Sink Faucet

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
I think it's finally time to fix my faucet.  It's been getting very difficult to tighten it enough to not drip (yes, at some point it must've been overtightened).  I would like to just replace the parts inside, but haven't found what it is.  I also thought of just replacing it all, but haven't found it at GLS.  Any ideas?

Hmm, not sure why the picture didn't post

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• Options

• Options
    Well, this looks like the same faucet:

https://www.amazon.com/Scandvik-10172P-Water-Swivel-Spout/dp/B003E1XXNI/ref=sr_1_104?keywords=marine+faucet&qid=1555951519&s=gateway&sr=8-104

I'd like to replace the guts for much less than $70.  But now that I have what I think is the brand, might be doable.

• Options
    Well, I keep answering my own topic :)  I believe I may have actually found the valve.

https://www.scandvik.com/index.cfm?method=products_detail&productID=422

I'll now take it apart this weekend before purchasing to make sure it looks like the correct part.  If nothing else, this may help the next person!

• Options
    Heck, I may not even have to buy the valve...looks like I can just buy the seal itself.  I'll know after I spend the 5 minutes to take it apart.

https://www.scandvik.com/index.cfm?method=products_detail&productID=575

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Dream! I dont have this problem yet but when I do it will be great to have these posts.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you sold your self. Started at 70 then 18 now 3bucks SOLD. B) 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Well played ... I concluded on Sunday that mine is toast and I need to fix it!  But you'd better budget more than five minutes for the job.  I threw a wrench at it, and it wouldn't budge.  I need a bigger wrench.  
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Well played ... I concluded on Sunday that mine is toast and I need to fix it!  But you'd better budget more than five minutes for the job.  I threw a wrench at it, and it wouldn't budge.  I need a bigger wrench.  

is that wrench on the valve or the faucet itself?  I know those valves can be in there pretty good as well.

• Options
    Please post a pic or two on how you got it opened to change, thinking I may pro actively do this up and down below. I do have to tighten them down pretty good to seal so would be great to replace 

• Options
    It's easy to take the handle off ... use a small screwdriver to pry off the cap, then remove a Phillips head screw and pull the handle off.  

The valve is threaded into the faucet body, and that's what I couldn't remove.  Next time, I'll use a real box wrench instead of an adjustable wrench.  
  • Options
    Sounds like a little extra leverage may be needed.  I'll make sure to have an "extender" for my box wrench just in case.  

I'll take some pictures too.  If you go to the website:
    https://www.scandvik.com/index.cfm?method=products_detail&productID=145
    you'll see in the pictures a detailed drawing of all the parts. It makes it nice if you only need to order a certain piece.  Again, I need to double check that this is actually what is on my boat (I'm pretty sure, but I can wait another week at this point to make sure).

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I deal with people at work all the time trying to take faucets apart. Quite often the minerals and deposits in the water build up over time and cause parts to stick. A bit if CLR or even strong vinegar will clean out the deposits and make it easier to take things apart. When putting back together use a bit of plumbers silicone grease and things will work better.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    I deal with people at work all the time trying to take faucets apart. Quite often the minerals and deposits in the water build up over time and cause parts to stick. A bit if CLR or even strong vinegar will clean out the deposits and make it easier to take things apart. When putting back together use a bit of plumbers silicone grease and things will work better.

I had a leaking faucet a few weeks ago.  I basically took the entire cartridge apart, cleaned quickly, pulled the O-rings and cleaned them and then put them back on, and re-assembled. Leak gone.  Didn't have to replace anything. Just needed a little cleaning, that's all!

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Thanks @MarkB - I think if mine was just a drip or leak, that would work.  You have to crank really tight (really tight) on it for a drip to stop. If you just do the normal turn off, it has a steady stream.  I am going to take apart and clean and try that for sure.  At the same time, I will note what I have, so if there are any issues, I'll know what to replace.  Thanks for the suggestion!

@Willhound - I may have to try the plumbers silicon grease on my faucet at home.  It's a bit sticky when initially trying to turn on.  I've replace the valve, but that didn't seem to help enough.  I'll try the CLR on the boat sink as well.

• Options
    Success!  I hit the valve with a couple drops of penetrating oil, waited 20 minutes, and cranked it off with a 17-mm box wrench.  A 17-mm deep socket would work too.  

The washer was $3.50 plus $7 shipping.  It looks smaller because the old washer was totally flattened out.  

Now it works beautifully and does not drip at all.  Thanks @Dream_Inn!

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Sounds like I have the correct washer!  I might as well just order myself one as well before I even check it out (actually I'll be ordering two cause I'm pretty sure a dock neighbor needs one as well :) ).  I'll be very happy to have this thing fixed!

Edit:  I just ordered 2!  What I don't like, I didn't see a price on shipping before buying.  It just states "standard shipping rates", even after putting in credit card and purchasing.  Even email they sent states it.  

• Options
    Thanks for the update and pics. One question, Home Depot and hardware store stock these washers for faucets, any reason to not just look there to see if they have the same size?

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update and pics. One question, Home Depot and hardware store stock these washers for faucets, any reason to not just look there to see if they have the same size?
    They might, but probably not. I work in building supply and can tell you that those double stepped washers can be hard to find in the correct size. If you look close, they're not just a standard flat rubber washer. If you can find a supplier that ships for a reasonable rate it's better to just order the correct one's and save yourself all the running around trying to find them.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    For me, I agree with Willhound.  I take it apart and can't find what I want at HD, then I'm stuck putting it back in until I get the part.  Also, I can't have water on at the boat when the part is out, so, no water means no toilet, shower, ice maker, washing dishes.  Basically no boat until it's fixed.  Ordered correct part and know I'll be good to go.  Certain times I usually order two sets if I know down the road I could need it again (like anything for the head or maintenance items) or the two other boats like mine on the dock will need them, like this time.

Edit:  & I just received status from USPS with a tracking number that it was picked up & it's on its way! :)  That was quick service!

• Options
    My brittle, 12-year-old washer ripped when I took it off.  Don't remove it until you have a new one in hand.  I recommend against trying to recondition the old washer.  
  • Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    Thanks @MarkB - I think if mine was just a drip or leak, that would work.  You have to crank really tight (really tight) on it for a drip to stop. If you just do the normal turn off, it has a steady stream.  I am going to take apart and clean and try that for sure.  At the same time, I will note what I have, so if there are any issues, I'll know what to replace.  Thanks for the suggestion!

@Willhound - I may have to try the plumbers silicon grease on my faucet at home.  It's a bit sticky when initially trying to turn on.  I've replace the valve, but that didn't seem to help enough.  I'll try the CLR on the boat sink as well.

I couldn't tighten mine enough to get the leak to stop. It was much more than a drip. Almost a continuous small stream. Anyhow, I cleaned mine and without ANY force of closing the tap it shuts off fine.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    Sounds like I have the correct washer!  I might as well just order myself one as well before I even check it out (actually I'll be ordering two cause I'm pretty sure a dock neighbor needs one as well :) ).  I'll be very happy to have this thing fixed!

Edit:  I just ordered 2!  What I don't like, I didn't see a price on shipping before buying.  It just states "standard shipping rates", even after putting in credit card and purchasing.  Even email they sent states it.  

Why don't you guys just go to home depot and get this stuff? It's all there, for a few $ and you don't need to wait 1 week for delivery.  This is not a "marine" faucet ... it's probably a cheap Pfizer tap or something.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    For me, I agree with Willhound.  I take it apart and can't find what I want at HD, then I'm stuck putting it back in until I get the part.  Also, I can't have water on at the boat when the part is out, so, no water means no toilet, shower, ice maker, washing dishes.  Basically no boat until it's fixed.  Ordered correct part and know I'll be good to go.  Certain times I usually order two sets if I know down the road I could need it again (like anything for the head or maintenance items) or the two other boats like mine on the dock will need them, like this time.

Edit:  & I just received status from USPS with a tracking number that it was picked up & it's on its way! :)  That was quick service!

Isn't there a shut off valve to the tap?  This is not a big deal guys, take it apart, go to home depot, if they don't have the part, put it back together ... takes 15 minutes, not even.  But to be honest, I'd get a shut off installed anyhow, which should be standard dimensions connected directly to the braided hose that connects to the tap. It'll take 1 minute to get that shut off in place.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    No need for a shutoff valve.  Turn off the pump, then open the galley faucet.  

I'm just saying, if you try to remove the washer before getting a new one, you're taking a risk.  And don't measure the old washer to get a size for the new one.  

I should have just ordered ten washers and sent them to everybody who needs one.  The idea that I spent $7 for shipping is laughable.  I mean, it's a washer.
  • Options
    Dream_Inn said:

Got it Dream & Will. Didnt realize these were stepped. Interesting, will dig in to these in a few weeks. I dont have a drip but I do have to turn the galley cold pretty hard to make sure it doesnt drip.

LR - Agree - you should send them out to us  :D

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I last year I replaced the sink and faucet they were all pitted 
  • Options
    If I had known there'd be such a response, I'd had ordered a dozen (like LaRea had said) and sent them out for the price of a stamp to avoid the extra shipping.  At least I did get an extra for whoever on my dock will need it! :)  Mine are arriving today.  

I agree it's a simple task to remove and maybe could've gotten at HD, but, mine still shuts off (barely) and isn't keeping me from using the boat.  Much easier just to order correct part, and then only take a couple minutes next time at boat to change it.  It'll be my Friday project and at least "milk" it enough to have a cold beverage! :)

• Options
    So I got around to changing the rubber ring out this weekend.  Very simple and works good now!  Nice easy fix and have a spare handy as well!