Options

Price match at West Marine

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
I got a gallon of 303 Fabric Guard (waterproofer) for $50 which is what Amazon is selling them for.  

The West Marine price was $112 before they matched.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Post edited by Stodge on

Comments

• Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    I like the price match at West Marine but why wouldn't they just sell the same product for a competitive price? I used to feel bad making them price match but now I just hop in Amazon and take a screen shot of the product I am going to purchase before I go in to the store. BTW my phone has no service or available WiFi when I am in the store, imagine that?
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They started that last year. I used it a few times for in store purchases. Unfortunately they closed their Pittsburgh location. Now we are stuck going to a few local marina ships stores, which I don't mind in a pinch, but their prices are sky high.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Price match, rebates, your health insurance statement of benefits - I agree, just charge the real amount you actually want. But then again, it's called competition.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Ye west marine is a joke unless you are in a bind and need something ASAP.
    most folks that work at west probably never even been on or near a boat.

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    We actually have some very experienced people at our WM.  I don't like the idea of price match, because they just think they'll keep high prices and those that are price conscious will still come with the match.  I try to appreciate those that start out with a low price.  That said, when in a bind and need ASAP, then I'll price match.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    When the local store price is more than double the online price it's hard not to price match.

That said, I don't do that with our "ma and pa" boat supply store in town. 

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Mikes or blue water is where I go if I need experience or advice. 

Issue with price matching is always model
    number or something like that. Sometimes it works but most of the time it failed me. That’s why I love eBay and Amazon lol
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When we had West Marine in Canada I never had any issue price matching. And like most larger retailers some of the staff was stellar and some was just kids in a first job. I shop the online sales quite a bit but like @Stodge I don't beat on my local guy too much. He's always been good with me, usually has what I want or can get it in a day or so. He employs local people and even does some business at our company which helps my job. Even if he's 10 or 20% higher than Amazon I'll still throw him the business. Price ain't everything.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    The two WM stores near me know their stuff ... most staff have 5+ years at the store, some 15-20 years.  They keep a pretty good inventory.  Also, they support our yacht club by donating prizes and stuff like that.  It's a good relationship.  
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    So I got emails about batteries on sale there - the 2 group 34's starters I needed were 25% off but not the group 31 house. Still, good price for the 34's and handed over ~$730 on Sunday. Bets price I got all round.

Today an email comes and the group 31 is now 20% off. Called to see if there was an option for a consideration and over the phone, order found and a $73.44 credit coming back to the card. "Price matching" exists within themselves too.

So yes, your typical retail outlets may charge more than some other places but in many ways, store front places like WM offer a level of service you won't get from an online store. I'll still look online but competition is fair and use WM when the need arises.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Good deal. Most (not all) retailers offer a price guarantee within a specified period of time. Saves them just having to return an item for the customer and then re-buy it. That's essentially what's happening but all on paper.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)