Options

Hull Number on new Swim Platform

ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭

So I installed the Rinker swim platform on my 232CC. This covered up the hull number. What would you recommend that I do with the number? I wroth the number with permanent marker under the platform where the original number would be. Should I do more?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    You could always use a cheap etcher and engrave it in.  But, if you already wrote it there, that may be good enough.  At least you were smart enough to write it down before you covered it up :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Permanent marker does not meet federal requirements -- but, you should have a second HIN on the vessel, that if accessible can be shown to boarding law enforcement.

Two are required by fed regs. Not sure where Rinker places the second, and if they are in a consistent spot on each boat. Someone else may have better info on that, or you can call Rinker and ask where they put the second set.

For those who are unfamiliar with the requirement, here's the info:

"Two identical hull identification numbers are required to be displayed on each boat hull.

(a) The primary hull identification number must be affixed -

(1) On boats with transoms, to the starboard outboard side of the transom within two inches of the top of the transom, gunwale, or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest.

(2) On boats without transoms or on boats on which it would be impractical to use the transom, to the starboard outboard side of the hull, aft, within one foot of the stern and within two inches of the top of the hull side, gunwale or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest.

(3) On catamarans and pontoon boats which have readily replaceable hulls, to the aft crossbeam within one foot of the starboard hull attachment.

(4) If the hull identification number would not be visible, because of rails, fittings, or other accessories, the number must be affixed as near as possible to the location specified in paragraph (a) of this section.

(b) The duplicate hull identification number must be affixed in an unexposed location on the interior of the boat or beneath a fitting or item of hardware.

(c) Each hull identification number must be carved, burned, stamped, embossed, molded, bonded, or otherwise permanently affixed to the boat so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious. If the number is on a separate plate, the plate must be fastened in such a manner that its removal would normally cause some scarring of or damage to the surrounding hull area. A hull identification number must not be attached to parts of the boat that are removable.

(d) The characters of each hull identification number must be no less than one-fourth of an inch high.

[CGD 79-013, 48 FR 40718, Sept. 19, 1983; 48 FR 53558, Nov. 28, 1983]"

###

• Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    So it looks like etching would work as long as the numbers were at least 1/4 inch high but hand written numbers may not look too professional. Maybe you could have an embossed number plate made and attach it using 5200.
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    You can get a 1/4" 36 pc steel letter/number stamping set from Harbor Freight for 15 bucks. Heat characters with a propane torch and impress into hull. 
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Your hull number is on the title lol
    but ye you can etch it on the underside of the Swimplatform starboard side.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There should be a hand written number somewhere on the boat. On my 280EC, if I take out the trash can, I can see the number written on the wall of the boat. Check in some compartments and I am sure you will find it. @Alswagg should be able to guide you as to where it could be.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get a 1/4" 36 pc steel letter/number stamping set from Harbor Freight for 15 bucks. Heat characters with a propane torch and impress into hull. 
    That's a good idea,wonder if it would work as good as it sounds. Just put down a piece of tape level where you want the numbers and follow the line with the heated stamps.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    zaverin1 said:
    Your hull number is on the title lol
    but ye you can etch it on the underside of the Swimplatform starboard side.
    Wouldn't qualify since the swim platform is removable. Must be on a permanent portion of the hull.
  • Options
    ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭

I'm having a stainless tag made. Will attach it to the hull just under the platform.

Thanks all

• Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    On one of my other boats the HIN was on a stainless tag rivited to the transom, making it non removable. I would drill the holes a little larger than the rivets so you can seal the inside of the hole with something like fiberglass resin to protect the core., then use an underwater approved sealer around the rivets.
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I have a record of my HIN on the original sales docs, the DMV title, and the insurance policy. Personally I wouldn't worry about it not being visible.
    Andy
  • Options
    andyd said:
    I have a record of my HIN on the original sales docs, the DMV title, and the insurance policy. Personally I wouldn't worry about it not being visible.
    Andy
    I'd be worried if the boarding officer wants to verify your paperwork to the HIN and he can't see it. Same as when law enforcement checks your car registration with your VIN. If they can't see it, you're possibly going to spend a lot more time with them...
  • Options
    Cableguy Greg is correct the second hull number on my boat is in the same place, in the space behind the cooler cubby hole. The way I look at it, in ruggerrole's situation, if an officer for whatever reason demands to see the original factory number on the hull it is going to involve removing the new swim platform regardless of how the number is replicated elsewhere by the owner. Has anyone here ever had any LEO demand to see the HIN hull stamp?
    Andy
  • Options
    andyd said:
    "Has anyone here ever had any LEO demand to see the HIN hull stamp?"
    Have never had DNR or local police pull me over, so can't say what they look for...but I've been boarded by USCG for safety/courtesy inspections on Lake Michigan at least once per season over the last few years and they have always compared the HIN on my paperwork with the one molded into the hull. It's part of their required checklist. Typically one Coastie has read the number off to the other Coastie doing the paperwork to make sure it matches. 
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Been boating my whole life tidal and non tidal waters only been stopped for a inspection once 
  • Options
    Anyone know how to "read" the info in the number? Like build date, model, etc? Last two numbers are model year, is H August? Yeah, I know RNK means "Rinker."

• Options
    H is the month, in this case August, 5 is the year of the build month, in this case 2005. 06 is the model year. I am not sure about the 80052.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    The 80052 is probably the amount of boats they have built as in boat number..... Just a guess.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    The 80052 is probably the amount of boats they have built as in boat number..... Just a guess.
    You could be right. My boat is a 2008, built in 2007 and those numbers are 89XXX.
    Go Steelers!!!