Options

Boat storage

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
So making a long story short I had to replace a rotor on my trailer. The boat is siting at my dry storage place. so I went down this morning and took me about 10 minutes to pullpthe rotar, down to the shop to pick up a new router and then back to the shop to install it. Where I store the boat he has a mechanic shop also. I would not go down there and just work on my boat it is easier to bring it home to do that. If this case I really can't move it. so I was about to take about 15 minutes to put the new rotor on and he comes out and tells me I can't do that on his storage lot. Kind of pi$$ed me off. I have been storing my boat there for 4 years never missed a payment and like I said would not go down there and work on my boat there. I will go back down there in the morning and pull my boat outside his gate to a lot just across the street and put my dam hub on. I'm thinking about putting my boat somewhere else. Am I being unreasonable.??
Post edited by raybo3 on

Comments

• Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    That’s crap. I just changed my sea water pump, serviced my outdrive, and did a full summarization at my storage facility, then I was able to pull it into their wash rack and start it on the muffs. 
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    Some marinas are crazy there is one up here they don’t even Want you to wash your boat 
  • Options
    This is just a storage place not a Marina!
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Unless it's in writing somewhere that you can't work on your boat in the yard...yeah it's bs
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    A marina nearby doesn’t allow working on your own boat, protecting their service interests. In the contract so as @skennelly said unless it’s in yours tell them where to go. Then go elsewhere.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    And i do respect this is a place of business....I have to fix it before I nove it far..oh well, will figure it out.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have access to the boat after hours? If so, do the work after the mechanic goes home. If I recall, you store your boat at a storage yard, not a marina, correct?
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Gotta be an insurance thing.  To be honest, I think it would be unusual for a storage yard to let owners do mechanical work on-site unless they are insured for it.  
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Where I store you can do pretty much anything diy you want...but you can't bring in an outside mechanic that's the only rule
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    So, he has a storage yard and a shop...said I could not work on the boat in the storage yard because that was how he made his living. I don't store the boat at his mechanics shop, I store it at his storage lot. Maybe I need to research a new place...I had no choice on this one and he was not going to hold me hostage over a castle but on a spindle!
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Same at my place u can do anything u want on your own boat. If u bring a mechanic no good,they want u to use their Mecanaic.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    So, he has a storage yard and a shop...said I could not work on the boat in the storage yard because that was how he made his living. I don't store the boat at his mechanics shop, I store it at his storage lot. Maybe I need to research a new place...I had no choice on this one and he was not going to hold me hostage over a castle but on a spindle!
    Ask him to show where in your storage contract it states you can't work on your boat/trailer. If it doesn’t then he’s got no grounds to restrict you.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    That seems unlikely.  By that logic, you could do anything that the contract doesn't specifically prohibit (say, fracking for oil), and the property owner would be powerless to stop you.  

If the contract says you CAN do maintenance, or if he lets others do similar work but treats you differently, you could argue with him.  Otherwise, I don't think you have a leg to stand on.
  • Options
    It is not singling me out on this- he does not want anyone to and I get it. I have not done work on the boat and have been there for 4 years. I don't recall that we even did a contract and it is a month to month deal. My boat broke down around the corner and I had to have it towed. They would have taken it to my house if I had liked, it was about 5 miles from where we were at. If I had thought for moment changing out a rotor would not be allowed, I would have gone to the house with it. I could have done it on the side of the road if I had access to parts but it was Sunday afternoon and did not want to leave the boat on the side of the road and had to be to work on Monday. This is not much more than changing a tire! He put me in a position of holding our boat hostage is the way it felt- he knew I was not gong to try and take it home on one tire. So, I did yesterday pull it off his property and on the side of the road put the new rotor on and put the tire back on it and then backed it right back onto his property. I am going to check another place that is close and see if my temper calms down. I have already paid for the next month. I am waiting for him to blow after taking the boat just outside his property and doing the repair, perhaps he will solve the problem for me. I wonder if he is having trouble getting service work- have read a couple things on line that were not favorable. He did a coupler for me and I was not thrilled but it was a reasonable price, just did not clean things up very well. Anyway, sounds like it varies from place to place and I never considered this was a violation worth any merit. 
  • Options
    Ah, gotcha.  Well, if it was me, I'd look elsewhere.  Not having anything in writing would make me nervous.  The facility owner probably has some level of responsibility for your boat when it's in his custody (a bailment).  If something happens to the boat and there's no written contract, you could get screwed.  
  • Options
    He is a bit on the lousee goosie side...nice guy but this has really rubbed me wrong...I'm pretty sure he told me he had no insurance but assumed my insurance would cover it where ever it is sitting? Sounds like a new thread on this topic! I will start one as I go searching...
  • Options
    So I went and looked at another side and it looks fine and they have no issues on working on the boat. They have a ramp but a little concerned if my truck would pull it out but can always drive to where I always launch so will think about it. Same price. They also have a club house you can join with pool etc for 30 bucks, a restaurant and slips I can stay in the water for the weekend .why am I even hesitating?
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
     Sounds like a good deal 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make the move @rasbury more time on the boat.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    That’s a big plus stay in the water for the weekend, 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Ras, just do it.  Sounds like you something you'll really enjoy and after all that hard work you've been doing to the boat, you deserve it (especially if it's the same price as now).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Yes I will forward on that!