Options

Boat storage and Insurance

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
I recently have had issue with the company I store my boat on a trailer at and thinking of moving it somewhere else. It was brought up that I may need to find out what kind of insurance they have...which I always assumed I had to provide the insurance....one place I did call I have to prove I have insurance...300M liability etc. So if I put our boat in storage, there is or might be additional insurance needed because it is at a storage facility??

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    We winter store at a marina.  They already have insurance for boat related issues.  I have had to prove proof of insurance but I think that's more for the case where I cause my boat to knock into another one.  I don't carry anything extra in the way of coverage.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Ditto and ditto where I am.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure how it is in the US. But in Canada both the marina and I are insured. Rental agreement shows they accept no liability dor amy damage however caused but not worth the paper it's written on. In the event of an issue on their end my insurance would go after their insurance and they battle it out to decide who pays what.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    From what I read, the liability of the lot owner can vary.  Consider a car parking lot.  If it's just an unfenced piece of land where you park the car, and you can remove it any time you want, the lot owner's liability is minimal.  If you give your key to a valet that parks and retrieves the car, they are creating a bailment and taking more liability for the car while it's in their custody.  

And of course, that increased liability is usually factored into the price.  
  • Options

both places I checked with require a 300M liability policy which I think I already have..went to look at the number one candidate, they do have a ramp albeit very steep....parking is on the grass but they have a spot if you want to work on the boat on pavement for 8 bucks for the day or something....I think that is a better approach then coming out there fussing that I can't work on the boat on his property because he has a shop...this place does to. I'd bet about half the people that dive into something get about half way into it and realize they are over their head and turn it over to them anyway. Once I pull the boat off their lot, I might take it anywhere if I need the help. My guy at my place is not thinking right! 
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    we are required to have 1 million in liability and provide proof every renewal 
  • Options
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    Wow!
    Ras, you find that unusual? Same here and most of us have minimum 2 Mill liability.
    1 Mill wouldn't even pay the lawyers.....
    Have to provide proof before the boat hits the water in the marina.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    300m liability is all we have to show..but that's on a trailer so may be different with a slip?