Options

Boating's most stressful day

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
So I thought I'd put it out there. I know that we all love our boats. We spend all summer enjoying them and all winter wishing that we could be on them (at least us northerners). But man, I find launch time the most stressful week of the year, especially launch day (this friday). Making sure that everything is waxed, lubed and ready, weather is decent (I have a 5 mile run to our marina but its all back bay), etc... I end up so stressed about "what if's" by launch day that there is zero excitement. Who else finds this time stressful? What do you do to chill the F out (other than have a cold one when its done :) )..... 
07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Well...my situation has changed...but for the first 4 years of owning our boat we stored it 35 miles away.  So that meant launching and then cruising 35 miles to our slip.  Always looked forward to it, but always worried something could go wrong on that first long cruise.

It was also a very long day.  We would park our car at the boat yard.  Take the cruise and  then have to take a train back to the boat yard to get the car.  Literally took 8 hours to do it all.

Now we have moved to a marina that's right next door to our boat storage and so from launch to slip is maybe a mile away.

Not sure how the wife and I dealt with the stress of it all...I guess it was the thrill of being back on the water again took over.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Well, my stress isn't on a launch day or in the spring (boat is on lift all winter, and I can gradually or quickly check things out).  

Usually my stress is that first long 10-day trip.  Our first day of our trip at the end of June is about 150 miles the first day.  That is when I have all those same thoughts as you do Liberty.  But add on the thoughts of everyone on the boat, with it fully packed for 10 days. 

I did have one of the first summers with this boat that we didn't make it far on our 10 day trip.  We spun the hub not even 2 miles out.  & learned that it can take a while to get the props (we really lucked out and only missed 3 days of that trip cause the spun hub was on the RH rotation & not LH - which can take months to get.  During those 3 days we actually had one of the best weekends ever on the boat right nearby with all of our friends).  Needless to say, we now carry a set of spare props.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Hey thanks for the responses. I have thought about changing my program like skenelly did, May just pay someone to move the boat to the dock so it’s all done with. Goes against everything I am with diy but would ease stress. Dream your lucky on the lift, that would make things way easier. Where I grew up boating the yard crew launched your boat and actually pushed it to your dock so it was there waiting for you. Now that I’ve moved an hour from there it’s a new program the last few years. Thanks again, looking forward to a great weekend aboard! 

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    This weekend is the nicest forecast since we launched and Cinco de Mayo.  Hope you have a great launch and enjoy the boat.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    I'm the opposite.  Launch day is one of my favorite days of the year, and I look forward to it over the entire winter!  I don't feel any stress whatsoever, and I don't care what goes wrong.  Any way you slice it, that day just makes me happy.  
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Im with you @Liberty44140. In the car now just left other car at marina 60 miles away from home. The guy that hauls my boat does not go in salt water so he puts me in the CT river 41 miles to my slip. Exciting shakedown cuirse but im a nervous. it would not be so much fun if it wasn't scary.
    Pray for good weather???
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    For me, our last 2 seasons have had storage remote about 30 miles away too so it's a to and fro getting things ready and then the car shuffle on the day - or day after - is the painful part. The most stressful part for me is that lowering into the water with the engine hatch open hoping not see water (despite checking 25 times the plug was in). Then it's startup and again, see all is well in there and temps come up slowly, this year with VVM I can see the flows.

The next day run up the river is always a little tentative as I open her up for the first time. But good winter storage and start up prep is the key.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    LR, what I wouldn’t give for that attitude. In my head I feel the same, who cares, it’s only time and money, just can’t get it to sink in :)
    chris that is one heck of a run! Nice map, that would be a little nerve wracking but I’d guess that once you pass 15 miles you feel a lot better.
    Icoultha I am the same. I’m at the helm being lowered in crapping a brick. What will leak? Will the water pumps pump, engines start, impellers ok, etc. in reality it doesn’t matter, I can make it 5 miles on one engine if I had to, or the storage place has merc mechanics and they can take care of it within a few days, just still winds me up! I will dock after being launched and wait for temp to climb and stop.

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    The Admiral gets stressed driving on interstate highways.  I drive the same highway, same traffic, I'm chill and mellow.  I keep telling her "driving is not stressful ... you're the one bringing stress to the situation."  Then she reaches over and punches me. 

The Admiral has a wicked right jab.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Yeah, LR's admiral sets kids straight for a living...don't mess with her! :)  I agree with highway driving, not stressful (although I can see how being in pass seat can be, I like to drive).  

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Same situation here, Admiral cant do dense traffic. I certainly do not like it, but its not stressful.....unless of course I am late for a flight heading for a beach somewhere! 

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always remember its a boat what could possibly go wrong. 
    And Captain Ron said if its going to happen it will happen out there.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Always remember its a boat what could possibly go wrong. 
    And Captain Ron said if its going to happen it will happen out there.
    Love that movie! How’s your run going?

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm usually pretty chill on launch day. But that usually entails pulling off the winter cover, put up the canvas, do a bit of spring cleaning and the marina drops it in the water for me. from the ramp to the slip is about 100 yards.
    But this year has definitely been stressful. First off, I bit off a bunch of spring installs like a new waste tank and a new swim platform. Also wanting to fix some gouges in the hull and shiner her up with PoliGlow.
    But what is most stressful is that our marina is under new ownership and the new owner, bless his heart, has decided to do a bunch of upgrades that are badly needed. One of them was ripping out the old ramp and replacing it, except after ripping out the old one, the weather hasn't cooperated enough to pour the new one, so launch should have been yesterday, didn't happen, and now we haven't yet seen an announcement for the expected replacement date. I'm ok with that because of the work I still want to get done and the weather looks like crap for the next two weeks anyway. But the not knowing a date is killing me because I have no way of planning how quickly I need to get things done, or even how much more I can plan before we go in.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is like therapy. My last boat which was a Tahoe bow rider I just had no fears. Having never really had any experience with boats and their problems I would say naieve is the best describition.  Had that boat for four years and kept it in the garage. Never had a problem with the boat or trailer and it was lightly used when purchased. So, we get the Rinker which only had 100 hours on it and had the same confidence. Two trips to either coast with no trailer issues but have no idea why. And I won't say I have really had major issues other than the transom asy rebuild- rest of it pretty minor and probably to some one with real experience none of it a real big deal. So, fast forward today and launching I'm currently terrified going to the ramp. Shift cable boot kept coming off and sinking is probably my biggest fear. I think I have it resolved but the cable does not slide- through it properly and I keep expecting to have a problem. Nice to see (well not really) to see everyone else has their own pucker moments- I'm waiting to get the confidence back and start enjoying boating again!
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Stress gone. Launched today and had a great run to the dock. All good. Was drizzling and only 1/4 mile visibility with fog but I didn’t care. Already at the bar celebrating the day. 

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually on my first run of the season I am listening and looking. It is stressful, but fortunately I am never all that far from my marina or a place to tie up. River boating has some advantages. Hopefully I will be making that first run sometime in the next week or two. I will be painting the bottom tomorrow. Buff and wax is supposed to take place on Monday, weather permitting.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options

I know you guys like pics :)

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice liberty! And we do like pics!