Options

Bottom paint

ScottKScottK Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
what is the best bottom paint to use?

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the area that you boat in. I am in fresh river water and I was using Hydrocoat for the first 5 seasons because that is what the PO used. My boat was originally painted with MicronCSC, so this spring I sanded the 5 or 6 coats of bottom paint off and am painting her again with MicronCSC in Sea Ray blue, which is a dark blue.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Right - you really need to ask boaters from your area.  It all depends on which formulation works best for the types of fouling where you store the boat.  

A few years ago, I surveyed the boaters in my marina about brands and how effective they were against the moss that grows on hulls here.  Most people were recoating every 2 or 3 years.  But I found that Micron CSC was consistently lasting 3-4 years, and sometimes even 5 years.  Now most of us are using CSC despite the high cost.  Cheap paint isn't a bargain if you have to paint twice as often.  
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a huge fan of hydrocoat, I’ve proven it lasts 5 seasons
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    @Liberty44140 - it's weird ... Petit Hydrocoat works great for you, but in my survey here, it was a mediocre performer.  
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    @Liberty44140 - it's weird ... Petit Hydrocoat works great for you, but in my survey here, it was a mediocre performer.  
    I didn't like it here in Pittsburgh either. Crazy thing is that my boat came from Middle River, MD and that is what they put on the boat every year. When it came from Stone Harbor, NJ, it had Micron CSC on it and now I am back with the Micron CSC.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used Micron CSC and it lasted a long time, only needed minor touch ups every year ... as in no more than a 30 to 45 minute job.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Cableguy Greg said: ... that is what they put on the boat every year. ... 
    They painted the bottom every year?  What was that, some kind of work program to keep yard staff employed?  I complain if my paint only lasts four years.  

BTW with CSC or any ablative paint, two coats will last longer than one.  
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Cableguy Greg said: ... that is what they put on the boat every year. ... 
    They painted the bottom every year?  What was that, some kind of work program to keep yard staff employed?  I complain if my paint only lasts four years.  

BTW with CSC or any ablative paint, two coats will last longer than one.  
    I suspect that he would call the yard and say "Get my boat ready for launch and make sure the bottom is painted."

I am very happy with how the CSC went on and the color of it. I will post a picture of it tomorrow. I need to finish the touch up of where the straps from the sling was at. I got one coat on that and it needs a second so I have two coats on the entire bottom. I will be thrilled if I get 4 years out of it.
    Go Steelers!!!