Options

New Owner of a 2006 226 Captiva w/ 350 Mag 300 HP - prop help

cough4452cough4452 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭

Just purchased a 2006 226 captiva- want to add a SS prop. It currently has a 19P 3 blade aluminum.

Any 226 owners like to share experiences? Also, what is a safe RPM range? 

Comments

• Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    The safe rpm range will be shown on a sticker on or near your breather cover and should say something like Max WOT RPM range. What do you want to do with your 226? Watersports or cruising? If watersports, I recommend an 18" cupped 4-blade for towing. For cruising, I recommend a 19" 3 blade for mid range efficiency.

These recommendations are made through experience.

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options

I use the boat for both cruising and watersports.  I checked, I'm currently running a 21 pitch prop, I'm going to borrow a 19 ptich SS prop from a friend.  Thanks for the advice !!!

• Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    I am running a 19 pitch 4 blade revolution 4. WOT with this prop for me is 4600 rpm. I am told that a 4 blade will reduce rpm by 150 vs a 3 blade design. Great hole shot, cruising, and top end(54mph gps)

Captiva 212 - 350 mag/corsa
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I owned a 226XL but it was a B3. I have had lots of 350 Mags though both on  Alphas and Bravos. You're using a 19" pitch on a 350 Mag on a 226? Something doesn't seem right to me. What's the load and use. Or more important what's the drive ratio on that rig? As recommended by others, check the wot for that rig.  I would think a 21" pitch would be about right. I may be nuts but I think a 19" pitch (if its a 3 blade) would blow you right past your upper wot.  MT
  • Options
    Thanks for the input.  When I picked up the boat (used) it had a 21p alluminum prop.  I replaced it with a 3 blade 19 pitch SS.  The RPM range should be 4800- 5200.  WOT it will exceed 5200 w/ the 19 pitch SS.  I was thinking a 4 blade 20 pitch or a 3 bade 21 SS might be the right answer.  We cruise / enjoy watersports w/ 2 - 3 adults and 2-3 kids.  I have no idea what the drive ratio would be.  I don't have a local marina that lets us "test" props.  It's can get pretty expensive "guessing" which one is correct.  I think I'll check craigslist- maybe I can find someone to swap props.
  • Options
    jiggyjiggy Member Posts: 1
     Hello I have the same boat except 2007.   Can you tell me what propeller you ended up with and the RPM and TopSpeed     Thank yoy
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cough4452 I'm sure you know this but all things equal (rake, cup and diameter) 1" pitch changes the RPM by 200.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ++ to MT above. 

ADDING pitch reduces rpm
    Reducing pitch increases rpm

the ratio is correct from MT. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI