Options

400 Power and Gas Usage

ALLFORARIALLFORARI Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
edited May 2019 in Rinker Custom Projects
Thinking of making an offer to upgrade from a 2005 342 to an 08 400 with Axius.  For those 400 owners, what is your total GPH?  Does that front bed allow enough space as its smaller than the one in my 342, Is it slow out of the hole?  Has anyone had issues with engines  this one is 375hp 8.1 H/O Axius.  Seems like a really big/heavy boat for Gas.  Whats Cruise Speed?
Post edited by raybo3 on

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn is lucky to get .75 gph but he cruises at 34 with WOT about 42. Now ask @Dirtythirty what he gets with his 400 with Volvo Diesels
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Boat that size needs diesels
    rinker just had very few diesel options since market was 27-35
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    edited May 2019
    I have the same boat, although are you sure they aren't 425 hp each?  I have a 2008 400 with the 496 (425hp) with B-2 drives.  Handy is about right (he's seen my numbers).  I average probably 0.75 mpg, but on calm days I'll get 0.9mpg and on that very lucky day going with wind and tide, possibly, just possibly 1.0mpg.  Yes, mpg is miles per gallon.  This is at around 32-34mph.  So fuel burn is around 40-45gph.  I'm assuming it has the Bravo-3 drives?  I boat with a close dock friend that has the B-3 drives, same boat (except 2007) and he gets about the same as I do.  I've had mine top out at 45mph.  With my new props, I lost a couple off the top speed, maybe 43ish now.  

Handy, Dirty has the Rinker 420, not 400.  And he also has pod drives, so a different boat all together.

@zaverin1 - definitely an opinion that people have. I've racked more hours on my boat over the last 6 years than most people do in 10+ years.  I've never seen any issues with under power or struggle.  Top speed of 45mph does not seem like a power issue.  Not a "torque" problem either, as a matter of fact, with my new props, I can easily get on plane quicker than the 342s!  (it's a fact, I've tested it out)

Oh, the bed in the front.  The wife and I both sleep up front with no issues.  I'm only 5'10" & she's 5'7".  If you are over 6', then it may be a little snug length wise. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    ALLFORARI...  I'm a little late to this party, but here is what I can tell you.

Bed size: (Dream_Inn is correct, 420, not 400) slightly different setup inside... When my wife and I first got our boat, we used the forward berth. But because I'm 6'3  the "egg shape of the forward mattress didn't work well for me and  we switched to the aft.  The aft is a true queen. The aft also offers a dedicated AC, sink and vanity, plus a raised portion of the ceiling for me to stand and get dressed.  The forward berth is actually tighter with the door closed then the rear berth.  However, most 400s and 410s I've seen have a completely different layout in the aft berth.  There are 2 twins and a daybed where our cabinets are. So it most likely comes down to personal preference.

Engines:  My setup is V/P IPS-500, D6 @ 370HPx2. Not the HP those 425s are making, but you cant touch my torque.  So, I pull hard onto plane, but then those gas engines leave me in their wake.  But.... I will pass you again at the next fuel dock. Not sure of the weight difference, but I tip the scales at 24,000 dry.