Step Replacement

CounselorphilCounselorphil Waukegan, IlPosts: 9Member
Greetings All;
My wife and I just took delivery on a 2004 270 with 340 hours. Looking to do some weekend getaways and explore various 
areas around Lake Michigan.  One project I was interested in tackling is replacing the carpeted steps leading down into the cabin....any suggestions of where I might find parts/materials/ideas?
Thanks and look forward to participating in this Forum.

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Long Island, NYPosts: 2,240Member ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum! Contact @diggin2day1 , he can definitely help you out.
  • CounselorphilCounselorphil Waukegan, IlPosts: 9Member
    Thanks....will do!

• reneechris14reneechris14 Pawcatuck river CTPosts: 1,889Member ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to forum the 270 is a great boat I had one for years and loved it. The steps, light covers and a beautiful table would great updates. Click on his name then his post and you will see some amazing work. @diggin2day1.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDPosts: 5,127Member, Moderator mod
    edited May 10
    Diggin makes some fantastic creations!  If you can think of it, he'll make it!  The steps are just crazy beautiful & I really wish I had an excuse to buy one of those tables!!!  (I've replaced both of mine just a couple years ago)

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• CounselorphilCounselorphil Waukegan, IlPosts: 9Member
    Thanks.....I just reviewed some of the pics....wow!
  • icoulthaicoultha Niskayuna NYPosts: 1,045Member ✭✭✭
    A number of us have purchased and all happy with his product.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Rear Commodore, Crescent Boat Club

• diggin2day1diggin2day1 Long Island, NYPosts: 1,175Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Guys!!! Greatly appreciate all the comments. 

• raybo3raybo3 Revere MAPosts: 4,050Moderator mod
    edited May 10
    I bought the steps and a table. Nothing but compliments every time someone sees them. Great work at great prices.............BTW great guy to deal with
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Greenwood Lake NY Posts: 575Member ✭✭✭
    yep I purchased the steps table lights for the radar arch and cabin along with the speaker trim rings .They really dressed up the boat nice and the craftsmanship is top notch 
  • cmelt2003cmelt2003 Holland, MIPosts: 32Member ✭✭
    What is involved in the process to ditch the carpeted stair and go to the open stair concept?
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Bay Village & Marblehead, OH.Posts: 2,171Member ✭✭✭✭
    Buy new wood steps from @diggin2day1, Remove screws underneath carpet steps. Throw carpet steps in the dumpster.  Install steps received from digging. Done. 
    Wine-N-Down -- 2006 342 Express Cruiser

• diggin2day1diggin2day1 Long Island, NYPosts: 1,175Member ✭✭✭✭
    cmelt2003 said:
    What is involved in the process to ditch the carpeted stair and go to the open stair concept?
    Not sure if what you’re looking to do is possible.  That stainless step base fits in there like socks on a rooster... 
  • WillhoundWillhound Lake Simcoe, Ontario, CanadaPosts: 1,721Member ✭✭✭✭
    cmelt2003 said:
    I would love to do the same on my 2000 but it looks like that era step is part of the structure. Hate the way it closes in the aft.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Bay Village & Marblehead, OH.Posts: 2,171Member ✭✭✭✭
    Would appear I don’t know the 270 very well...
    Wine-N-Down -- 2006 342 Express Cruiser

• StodgeStodge Lake St. ClairPosts: 2,322Member ✭✭✭✭
    I think the 270 is like my old 280, where the steps down were boxes, not floating.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

edited May 16
    Stodge said:
    I think the 270 is like my old 280, where the steps down were boxes, not floating.
    Correct. After reading some of the posts, I thought people were converting to that. I guess it may not be possible. Dam
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • StodgeStodge Lake St. ClairPosts: 2,322Member ✭✭✭✭
    Anything is possible.  But it would be major surgery.  After you removed the box steps, and make the exposed areas pretty you'd have to get someone to fabricate a custom floating stair stringer and figure out if you can attach the bottom without drilling a hole through your hull.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• WillhoundWillhound Lake Simcoe, Ontario, CanadaPosts: 1,721Member ✭✭✭✭
    I beleive the newer post 2001 model 270's use a floating step. 99 to early 01 are a carpeted box step that also supports the door frame (i think). Either way, major surgery to change out otherwise I'd already own a pair of Diggin' s steps

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    Thanks everyone for the info!