Another PoliGlow Convert

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
Was able to get my shine on today. Really like this stuff. The PoliPrep cleaning step took awhile but the PoliGlow top coats went easy. After a few coats you can feel the applicator mitt sliding easier and easier. I had a few spots where I just could not get the hull as clean as I would have liked, but overall I'm satisfied. Really brought the shine back to my faded old decals too.
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Order it online? What’s the poliprep all about?
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Available on-line in both US and Canada and through many marine suppliers. If you buy the kit it comes with the PoliPrep and PoliGlow as well as the scrub pad for the prep and the mcrofibre applicator mitt for the glow. The PoliPrep is a cleaner (I suspect it has a light oxalic acid base) that removes previous wax, dirt, stains etc and presents a clean surface for the PoliGlow to go on. 
    The only caveat is that you really do have to get the surface as clean as you can. Any black streaks etc. that remain will only be highlighted by the shine. I have a few faint black streaks under each of my port lights from the way water drains off them that I was just not able to fully remove and now they're sealed under the shine coat. Very faint and from 10 feet away you can't see them, but I know they're there. There is no running water available where my boat is blocked so forced to carry water in 5 gallon pails from home and use a garden sprayer to clean. A decent water hose and/or pressure washer would likely do a perfect job. But overall I'm very happy with it. 
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks great 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep looks great ,l couldn’t even imagine doing that job without running water maybe a large trash can with water and a small pump 
  • jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    I have been using Poli-Glow for several years with good results. I really like it on the bow as it's not slippery like wax, but still shines like it.
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I just finished polish and then it started to rain and it’s still raining my plan is to wax then with all the talk on here about the F11 I ordered it and will try it if it ever stops raining 
  • jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    In Connecticut I think it's supposed to stop raining in early October.
  • DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    As most of you know, I'm a big fan of Poli-Glow. Here is how my boat looked after I removed the wrap and washed it. After almost a year since the last application, it is still shining!!!
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • cls10105cls10105 Member Posts: 352 ✭✭
    @DanD2, wow shes beautiful...nice man
    cruising on 6. tw0s
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Looks great Dan 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Some serious campfire pallets there
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
    mattie said:
    Some serious campfire pallets there
    Only when they start to get ratty...lol. I try to re-use them as much as possible every year
    shawnmjr said:
    Is that your winter dock next to the boat @DanD2
    LOL....I do set some up along the stern so that I can easily get in the boat during the winter if I need.
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I saw poli-glow advertised on ship shape tv probably in 2008.  At the time had a red Crownline and it worked very well.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • tk1973tk1973 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Looks great Wil
  • gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Looks great Will. I gave up on my chalky blue hull and sent my boat in for new paint.  Will post pics when I get it back. 
    To any of my fellow PoliGlow users out there, when I applied last year (first time) I used the PoliPrep as instructed but on the day I applied the PoliGlow it was overcast and dull so I didn't notice that there were still some very slight black hull streaks which the PoliGlow then sealed in. Not bad, you have to be pretty close to see them, mostly in the usual spots under the portlights. But it bothers me. I have enough of the Prep and Glow to reapply this year but wondering if it's worthwhile giving those areas a quick wet sand first? Do the PoliPrep, sand, reapply PoliGlow? If I sand will I have to do the entire hull, or do you think I can get away with the lightly stained areas and then the PoliGlow will cover it up?
    If I have to sand the entire hull I might just try the Prep to clean it up a bit and live with it. Has to be an extremely bright day and you have to be face tight to the hull to see it.
    Maybe just too much time on my hands fretting over it....
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use painters tape to mask the borders, and wet sand away... I've done it often.  
    I would leave it as is for this summer, once the boat is in the water you probably won’t notice the streaks.... things are always way more visible on the hard, and then strip and re do next spring. I’ve read that zep floor stripper which is $10 usd per gal here at Home Depot does a great job of stripping poliglow 

Both good suggestions. And both save me some work. I was going to redo a coat this year though because I have some dull spots where my fenders rubbed etc. Was going to do it this weekend but now calling for showers all weekend. Might do a bit of sanding in the rain and touch up those spots when it dries.
    You may not need to wet sand. You could use Poli Strip to remove the Glow from that area and depending on what caused the streaks, remove them. I have removed streaks with a light scotchbrite pad and then re-applied the glow
    Did a couple of tests yesterday. Tried the PoliPrep on a few spots (don't have ay PoliStrip and too long to get any in) but with little affect. Wet sanding a small area removed both the PoliGlow and some, but not all, of the black streaks. I'm starting to think a full compounding with my Porter Cable variable orbital buffer and start all over, but a pile of work. Will also depend if I can get in somewhere to get the compound.
    Just a warning you must remove all the poliglow first with a stripper before compounding. You can’t just compound it off 

Ah crap. Was wondering. Thanks @Liberty44140
    Wanted to get this done this weekend, so I'll either have to wait and see if they can fast ship me some PoliStrip next week or else just touch up the spots I tested yesterday and then live with it for this year. I'm hoping they might splash me this coming week. As mentioned above it's bugging my a$$ but no one else will probably care. Even with the faint black streaks I have one of the best (possibly the best) looking and cared for boats in the marina. There is one really nice 2004 FV250 that belonged to an auto body guy that pulled it a couple times a year to clean and buff the hull. The current owner for the last two years has barely touched it, so it's fading fast.
    At the boat now. This is what I'm dealing with. Not sure how well the pic will show up. Using the PoliPrep to get what I can off. A lot of it is from over the winter.
    Poliprep will remove some, but not much. Years ago I put it on too cold and it was foggy, since it was only days old poliprep took those those new layers off nicely but not the base. Like I said before look at zep floor stripper. That in a garden sprayer and some scotch pads and you can probably remove it in an hour

Finally resorted to wet sanding. Remembered I had some 600 grit paper with me. The issue is that all our local hardware stores and Depot etc have about a two hour line up in front of them.

@Liberty44140 thanks for the tip on the stripper. Snuck into the local hardware early this morning and picked up a jug of a commercial grade stripper. It not only took the old PoliGlow off, but removed the black streaks also. Way easier than the wet sanding. Both sides look the same now. This side was wet sanded, then PoliPrep then PoliGlow.

This side the stripper, then PoliPrep then PoliGlow. Hard to see the shine, I always seem to hit an overcast day when I do this job, but it shines!

Hey Will it looks great! Glad it worked out, nice job!

The ZEP stripper or pretty much any floor stripper will work. Poli_Glow is really just a floor sealant. For that matter many people have used the ZEP products on their RV's and Boats.......Here's mine just after I completed it last weekend. I only needed to add 3 coats this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPstkBlW1i4