Fuel Valve problem on 2003 312

MyloMylo Posts: 7Member

Have 2003 312  When running motors with both fuel valves open only draws fuel from starboard tank , till I shut off that valve then draws from Port tank. Anyone know what causes this and how to fix ?

Thanks

Answers

• icoulthaicoultha Niskayuna NYPosts: 1,045Member ✭✭✭
    Does it run right when you do this? Thinking blockage in line from port and sucking from starboard is easier. If you shut the crossover do both run okay on their own tanks? 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Rear Commodore, Crescent Boat Club

• MyloMylo Posts: 7Member
    Not sure will check that tonight. Thanks.
    Another thought is are you seeing this based on gauge operation? If so, are the senders good? Reason I ask is if you have a sender that is not travelling the full depth it may be suggesting that it is using more from one tank than the other. Last year I misread the depth of my tank - 20" instead of 28" - and the sender I had was 18" but I put it in anyway seeing as the old one wasn't working and it (as expected) ran down faster than the other. (I now have a 27" unit to go in)

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• zaverin1zaverin1 Harrison TWP ,MIPosts: 1,522Member ✭✭✭
    I had to replace both of my senders on my Rinker.
    one had a dead spot around half mark and other would
    bounce around to much when underway 
    Thanks, I will check out the senders. Maybe that's it.
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Holland, MichiganPosts: 4,510Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cross over valve should be closed. Each engine pulling fuel from its own tank. 

2003 342FV "Black Diamond", 350 MAG MPI, 20P 4x4 Props, PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Thanks, that makes sense, do you know what is the purpose of having the cross over valve open?
    I was initially told to leave open so for even draw but closed it last year. The idea of if one is low or contaminated you can share or isolate. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

O.K. Thanks
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Bay Village & Marblehead, OH.Posts: 2,171Member ✭✭✭✭
    Agree on keeping the crossover closed. On both my 310 and 342 when I leave it open, the system ends up taking more fuel from one thank than the other, path of least resistance, so I always keep it closed so my burn is even. It’s there to be opened should you need it. 
    Wine-N-Down -- 2006 342 Express Cruiser

Your comment on this before @Liberty44140 is what had me close mine off. Once I put in the new sender I'll have a better cross reference of both sides.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”