Fiberglass delam

otssmithotssmith Member Posts: 5
I'm in the middle of buying a 2002 Rinker 270 Fiesta Vee with a 15 inch diameter circle on the bow that is delam. The surveyor said it could take 500-750$ to fix. I live in South Bend IN and was wondering if Rinker knows of any places to fix this? I used to work in Goshen at Dutchmen RV for 6 years. The Rinker name I've heard good things. Does Rinker have a service shop?

Shane

Best Answer

Answers

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a word of advise, you could easily be talking a few grand to fix that, or more.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd guess it was a captains miscalculation divit or a dock wound. Sounds like you have an ideal offer from Al. Good luck with the new boat and welcome aboard.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
    I agree. I'd jump on the offer from Al.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • otssmithotssmith Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the input. The surveyor called it a delam and marked it with a grease pencil and sent me a photo. How do you attach a photo here in the forum?
    Just use the 'attach a file' link right below the response block.

PC BYC, Holland, MI

Attaching photos was discussed in the link below. Good luck with your delam. Mike

(LINK TO PHOTO DISCUSSION)
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • otssmithotssmith Member Posts: 5
    The delam has been marked with a grease pencil I would guess. I have not seen the boat in person.

Sorry, I misunderstood when you said bow I thought it was on the fwd section of the hull not the deck.

A soft spot in the deck is a bit different than a delam. It's usually caused by water leaks as RY said, causing the backing material (usually balsa) to rot away. There are a number of ways to repair a soft spot but as Al said it isn't cheap if you want it done right, but it can definitely be fixed if you pour some cash on it. :D

Good luck, Mike