276cc for waterskiing?

hi there.  I’m new to the forum as I’m considering buying a 276cc.  My kids and I love skiing and they also love tubing, kneeboarding and wakeboarding.  Can I mono ski behind this boat?  Is there a way to increase or reduce the size of the wake?  Finally, do small kids have any issues boarding the swim platform from water level as it looks a bit high?
sincere thanks for any thoughts you have on any of the above.
oh, I currently have a mastercraft but kids need a cuddly!!!

Comments

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What size of engine do you have? What is your drive? Do you have trim tabs?
  • mtbinscotlandmtbinscotland Member Posts: 3
    It has a 5.7 Volvo Pentax with twin prop and trim tabs.
  • mtbinscotlandmtbinscotland Member Posts: 3
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like it will be under powered for pulling a skier out of the water with that setup... 
    2000 Captiva 232 
    That's a lot of boat for a 5.7 I would like a 496 or 502 mag in a boat that size.  Twin CR props is good!
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a small engine for that size boat. One way to get the low end going would be to change the props to a lower pitch. You will sacrifice top end, but it will pull the skiers out of the water. I believe that engine is 320HP. The ladder should be a 4 step ladder, so getting onto the swim platform should be easy.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He can pull skier we did it with 270 w/300 mpi, 21pitch 4 blade in front, 3 blade 21 in back. Yes it took a bit to get up but sooooo, it's fun. You can do it!
    Boat Name : 

Does a 5.7 produce 320 HP? Surely not at the prop? I thought the 350 Mag only made 300 Hp at the prop and a 377 Mag made 320 at the prop? I thought the 5.7 which IMO is no where near as "robust" as the 350 and 377 Mags was a lot less powerful?
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Michael T said:
    Does a 5.7 produce 320 HP? Surely not at the prop? I thought the 350 Mag only made 300 Hp at the prop and a 377 Mag made 320 at the prop? I thought the 5.7 which IMO is no where near as "robust" as the 350 and 377 Mags was a lot less powerful?
    I believe the VP 5.7GXi produces 320HP. I could be wrong. You are correct about the Merc HP's.
    Post edited by Cableguy Greg on
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • dcaffreydcaffrey Member Posts: 15

randy56 did you ski on 1 or 2 skis behind your 270?  Has anyone tubed or wakeboarded behind a 270 300hp?

I have 22pitch props and might be switching to 21pitch.  We only had the boat for several month's and are learning a lot from this forum.  Thanks guys!

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two ski's then sometime's kick one off, then slalom. And yes we pulled grand kids on tube. I did not have a wakeboard, or we would have tried it. If you are going to 21"s I would suggest getting a 4 blade instead of 3. 

Boat Name : 

• JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I've pulled skiers, wakeboard, and tubers behind my 276 CC with 350 Mag / Bravo 3.

You've gotta have the drive all the way down, trim tabs all the way down, and try to have at least 3-4' of water, since it'll dig down a little on take off.

I NEVER have felt my boat is under powered, and its always popped right onto plane even with a stupid heavy load of people, gas, and coolers.

You could definitely shape the wake with the trim tabs, drive position & speed of the boat. For skiing I found ~ 25mph the best speed and once I get the skiier up I could flatten the wave by trimming the drive & tabs up to about halfway.

My boat will maintain plane down to 16mph with full tabs & drive down.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3