Pulling a 2005 342 up the ramp

johnepjohnep Member Posts: 114 ✭✭
I bought the above boat and have ordered a 18000lb trailer for it. I will be using it primarily to get the boat off the dock a few times over the summer and winter storage. My concern is what I need to pull it up the boat ramp.  I will only be traveling  50 yards or so.  How do I come up with the type of the tow rig?  Be it a 3/4 or 1 ton, diesel, large gas, 4X4 I would assume?  Anyone been down this road???

Comments

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your only going 50 yards a 3/4 ton will do the job. Remember when backing back in it will pull you right in. And don't winch that boat on the trailer you will damage the bow, float it up as far as you can.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @johnep are you at a marina? Would they tow it for you? Our Marina has a 3/4 ton 4x4 HD GMC that they use to haul and launch. For a small fee they'll pull a customer's trailer. Might be cheaper in the long run than buying. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • johnepjohnep Member Posts: 114 ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies!  Our marina has a Chevy 3/4 ton gas extended cab. I do not want to be the demise of it.  I have an 04 f150 crew cab and am thinking of upgrading.  I hear the diesel gets better fuel economy and only need to change filters.  I have a pal that is selling his Ford f350 but it has a small v8. I like the truck but am worried it wont have the power to pull it up the ramp. Thanks again for all the help!
    Thank you Alswagg!  A picture is worth a thousand words.  Even better is you have been there and done that!
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not much weight on the front wheels of that 350! :-)
  • jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Could install a 2""receiver on the front. This could be used to add weight up front when pulling up the ramp, and installing a ball mount on the front makes maneuvering a trailer on flat land much easier.
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Travelling 50 yards: you could do that with my ManlyVan.

I bought a 2011 F350 diesel.  Figure I would have all I needed when I need it! Thanks for all the input!
  • walleyrwalleyr Member Posts: 34
    Good choice! F350 has plenty of powers.
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    6.4 Diesel? I don’t know why they stopped making the 7.3 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forget the power jokes. Cummins!! My new baby
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice truck Steve 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Won't fit in the garage :)
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    skennelly said:
    Won't fit in the garage :)
    Fits perfect
    This truck would pull @Alswagg F350 with camper top towing a Rinker 420 up Pikes Peak doing 65 on cruise control.  
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Lol
    is that a 4x4
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @GMSLITHO I heard it was the environmental, that stopped them. It was a 300,000 mile motor if maintained. I saw one.
    @Handymans342 Big red looks like big investment. What year?

Boat Name : 

edited August 2018
    2017. 4x4. H/O 6.7. Aisin transmission. 410 rear. Mega Cab.  Any other questions girls??
    Post edited by raybo3 on
    the 6.4 has the ego and the diesel particle filter on the exhaust kills the milage 13.5 mpg and the radiator developer leakes in the seam 
    I just got 21mpg on a solo trip
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the 6.4PSD recovered all the issues of the 6.0- but was seriously impacted by the EPA mandates which arrived late in the game during its scheduled release... these items being 'tacked' on also made them easy to remove (illegally).  it was the last of the International Harvester engines (NavStar) to be made for Ford.  IH still runs them with great success with their medium duty offerings.  

they are BEASTS when properly configured- a simple tuner and exhaust can double the rated HP and bump TQ in the 40% range.  

Ford and IH/NavStar parted ways through a legal dispute and Ford moved toward producing their own medium duty in the 6.7 Scorpion.  It's a decent engine and strong enough. 

All said, and though a dog compared to the common rail engines, the 7.3PSD(IH) is still one of the best medium duty diesels ever made, and easily comparable to a 6.0 12v Cummins in both concerns of lasting forever (properly cared for) and being extremely reliable. 

one of the killer EPA mandates that even tuners can't resolve is the RPM requirements new diesels have to obtain in order to burn off particulates with the often strange filter and/or DEF introductions... these go to the core of the engine and would require a camshaft change to address... and the returns on that would be questionable as you'd be in no man's land insofar as support for tuning... 

the inline offered by cummins is where it's at if simple TQ is your game.  larger diameter pistons and longer stroke produce gobs of TQ.  however, the sequential turbo's that surfaced with the 6.4PSD and the high pressure fuel pumps being delivered by piazzio injectors (opposed to HEUI used by both IH and Cummins after they moved from mechanical solenoid injectors- and producing up to 30k psi if demanded) work together to produce ridiculous power both in terms of twisties (TQ) as well as work (HP)... you can  achieve similar numbers with a cummins that a 'worked' 6.4PSD can provide, but you'll be paying three to four times what it costs to get out of the PSD.  And, you dramatically lose reliability.  the real benefit of the sequential turbo's is the torque curve that enters just off idle speeds and lasts all the way through the rpm range.  it flattens out around 1800rpm and holds until nearing 4k rpm... that is a 2k range of available tq, and something that is highly desirable. 

my late 6.4PSD literally idled with more available TQ than the last BBC I had produced at peak.  

but none of this is about power or torque.  as Al said, this is ALL about gearing and traction.  properly geared, a briggs and stratton on a heavy enough platform would pull that boat out- it would just take a long while and progress would be measured in mm's... 
    The Cummins has less moving parts and does not depend on oil pressure to work everything like the PSD
    the PSD doesn't rely on oil, either... not since HEUI injectors joined Hoffa... the cummins suffered the same before they went to common rail in '06. 
    you must have been going down hill I had some work done on my 350 6.4 best average fuel I can get is 15.5 
    GMSLITHO said:
    you must have been going down hill I had some work done on my 350 6.4 best average fuel I can get is 15.5 
    i can likely help you with that if you want... talk you through it... depending on how you're tuned and what you use to tune with if so... i averaged 17.5~18 in mine, and it was loaded down 90% of the time with 110ga of fuel... it had a range of around 2k miles. 
    212, got a good place to get an aux tank?
    Farm Supply or Agri Supply, and I prefer the latter... 
    Neither of those here in FL .Tractor supply is .
    Northern tools has a few good ones
    i've never seen anything but pinch welded from northern, and that's mostly what you'll find at Tractor Supply or Farm Supply.  Agri Supply stocks mostly quality welded tanks... they ship, and that's the way to go.  don't cheap out on transfer- if you transfer directly to your onboard tank (which I did) run an AirDog, FASS, or Fuel Labs pump and put it on a timed switch- don't transfer more than half a tank (onboard tank) at a time else you can overflow which is a bad bad thing.  i went as far as to put an LED and a buzzer on the switch, actuated with oe rocker switches, and intercepted the lines from the aux tank to the onboard tank with normally closed 12vdc solenoid switch to reverse the flow back to the aux tank- which allowed me to see when the switch was open (buzzing and light) as well as simply polish the fuel before feeding it to the main tank.. .

polishing the fuel is extremely important, especially with modern high pressure diesel fuel systems... ANY particulate or h2o can jack up a very expensive system... this thwarts that almost completely.