Holding Tank Filter

ChancedevlinChancedevlin Member Posts: 13
Just got my first boat a couple weeks ago.  Does my 2004 342 have a holding tank vent filter?  If so where is it?  There is a nasty smell coming out every time we flush. 

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on your boat! As for the filter, follow the vent line on top of the tank and see if there is one in line. If there’s just a hose to the through hull you don’t have one.
    2008 330EC
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I was told by Rinker that my 342 did not have a filter.  Big Orange is a good option.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I made mine with some PVC pipe, a few fittings, and some activated charcoal for aquariums. I think I spent about $50 to make 2 of them with plenty of charcoal left over for servicing them.

Paul

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea with all due respect to the fans of the big orange, I made mine for something around $20 ($38 including the pressure release valve I added) and I refill it every other year for $6 and it works beautifully. Just can’t imagine spending over $100 on one of these things. If you are familiar with cutting and gluing pvc then I’d reccomend making one, lots of info on this site and the sea ray site on how to do it in 30 min. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Yea with all due respect to the fans of the big orange, I made mine for something around $20 ($38 including the pressure release valve I added) and I refill it every other year for $6 and it works beautifully. Just can’t imagine spending over $100 on one of these things. If you are familiar with cutting and gluing pvc then I’d reccomend making one, lots of info on this site and the sea ray site on how to do it in 30 min. 

I completely agree with you.  Heck, I've even made several of these for my dock neighbors.  But, for those that just don't want to make it, the orange filter is better than buying the ones at west marine that you then throw away.  Also, the big orange inventor used to be a Rinker Boat Owner. :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express