2005 342 Starboard Gas leak

randy9000randy9000 Member Posts: 15
Hi Rinker Boaters,

I have a 2005 342 that is leaking gas from the starboard. Has anyone experienced or heard of this issue?

Does anyone have a owners manual or fuel system schematic that shows the component and connections that makeup the fuel system?

Please help!!!

Boater down.

Thanks in advance
2005 Rinker 342 - Maryland
Tagged:

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should have 2 tanks and I can't believe your tank is leaking .Never heard of one
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You say starboard, is it your starboard tank or engine?? Check all hose clamps and the sender for leaks. Did you just fill up? If you did hopefully it’s just the sender leaking.
    2008 330EC
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    You will have to take the ice maker out to access the port hole for the sender. You can see it with the garbage pale out.
    Post edited by reneechris14 on
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    You will have to take the fig out to access the port hole for the sender. You can see it with the garbage pale out.
    Fig??????
    That's where you put your beer. Fig??
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can squeeze in, you can follow the fuel fill line to the tank. And see the sender and fuel line to the engine. 

As noted, pull the ice maker and you can get to the deck plate for access too. 

I’d be looking at the fuel lines personally. Where are you seeing the gas?  Or just smelling it?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    You can also take the aft cabin apart and you'll have full access to the tanks. I have a video on how to take that apart somewhere's here. Can share it if you need.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • randy9000randy9000 Member Posts: 15
    aero3113 : I am referring to the starboard tank
    Black_Diamond - I was seeing it in the aft cabin bilge. 
    DanD2 - Can you please share the video. Appreciate it!
    If the gas is accumulating in the aft cabin bilge, you must have a major leak and gas all over the place. It is not a straight shot to the bilge from that tank. I would be EXTREMELY careful working on that, you need major ventilation (non-sparking) too. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    I agree with @Black_Diamond. Disconnect shore power turn off breakers. Vent well before using drill to dismantle aft cabin. @DanD2 video is great.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I agree with BD.  If it is leaking, first thing is have someone professional empty the tank.  For it to leak into that bilge, there has to be something else wrong as well (because cabin area is sealed from the tanks and the ER.)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Okay....

Thanks all. It's been venting for a few days now. Once the smell is completely out I'll remove the frig and dismantle the cabin. Hopefully I can get this resolved before the holiday. 

If anyone have any schematics please share.

Thanks all for the input!!!! 
  • McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Hope its something stupid like a hose getting loose. I had to replace my fuel tank in my chaparral a couple years back, was told the electricity in the water ate it up and my anodes real bad. 
    Could be a hose leak at the top of the tank hopefully. If the tank is leaking you would have a boat full of gas. 
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    The high pressure fuel pump is down by the oil pan.  If you had a leak there it would make a hack of a mess.  Good luck finding it.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    any chance that you filled it to the absolute top and then heat made it expand and spill in to the engine room?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

So you saw the gas in the bilge area under the mid cabin berth?  Or in the engine bilge?  Just trying to understand. The latter makes way more sense to me. 

If the tank itself is leaking then as noted above you need to have it professionally emptied out. Expecting the gas to just evaporate is a major hazard. All the AC and DC power should be shut off. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    He is going to be on the 6 oclock news. 
  • dropoutdropout Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    I once had a fuel leak due to a fracture on the fuel tank. (Not a Rinker) Had 20+ gallons of fuel in the cabin and bilge. I was sitting on the deck and smelled fuel, walked down to the dock and knew there was a problem, boarded the boat and seen fuel soaked carpets. Immediately called the fire department, they came out and sprayed foam or whatever they use in order to keep the fumes down and shut off all batteries and breakers. Then called the local salvage company to tow the boat and shore it up. Salvage company then had the standing fuel removed as well as fuel in tank. If I was you I would do the same for safety measures. 
  • andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    My tank leak was caused by corrosion. If that is the case with your boat I would look at replacing both tanks for peace of mind. As other have mentioned, be extremely cautious when dealing with gasoline fumes in closed spaces.

Andy
  • DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    No need to take out the fridge. Remove the icemaker and there is a cover plate that can be unscrewed. That will give you access to the top of the tank where the lines and fuel level gage is.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342